Contact the Heart Center
The Heart Center at Children’s Health℠ offers a comprehensive program of specialized care for children with congenital and acquired heart diseases. Ranking among the country’s top cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery programs, a multidisciplinary group of subspecialists works together to meet the full range of pediatric cardiac needs, including:
- Prenatal consultation
- Non-invasive diagnostic imaging
- Interventional catheterization
- Electrophysiology (including catheter ablation and device therapy)
- Preventive cardiology
- Cardiothoracic surgery (including heart transplantation and congenital heart defect repair)
With nearly 13,000 outpatient clinic encounters and over 900 inpatient admissions in 2014 alone, Children’s Medical Center is a leader in all aspects of pediatric cardiac care, with outcomes that rank among the country’s elite programs and accomplishments including:
- Among the top five percent or one of six heart centers nationwide to receive the 3 star rating, the highest designation of excellence awarded by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS).
- As the only pediatric ventricular assist device (VAD) program in North Texas, Children’s Medical Center offers a comprehensive range of devices and is pioneering work to make advanced technologies available to small children.
- Using the Society of Thoracic Surgeons’ European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Congenital Heart Surgery Mortality (STAT) categories, Children’s Medical Center exceeds median survival rates in all forms of heart surgery.
- An international class transplant program representing some of the best outcomes in the state.
- A dedicated support program for parents of single ventricle patients that has significantly decreased interstage mortality.
- Catheterization labs with advanced technology that decreases patients’ radiation exposure. This technology is only available in a handful of centers across the country.
- An award-winning medical transport team with certification in all modes of transport (helicopter, airplane and ambulance) from the Association of Air Medical Services.
STS 3 Star Rating
- The Heart Center at Children’s Health Dallas℠ has been rated as one of the top participants with an overall 3 star rating (lower than expected mortality) respective to Operative Mortality in the most recent Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) National Report.
- We are among the top five percent or one of six heart centers nationwide to receive the highest designation of excellence awarded by the STS.
- 116 facilities voluntarily submitted data over the past four years to the STS for nationwide comparison of risk adjusted pediatric operative mortality. Each heart center is rated with either a 1, 2, or 3 star ranking based on outcomes, 6 of the 116 facilities were rated with a 3-star ranking, the highest rating by STS.
- This distinguished 3-star rating indicates that our program is proven to have significantly lower than expected mortality rates respective to operative mortality based on STAT rankings, procedural complexity.
Children's has established itself as a leader in the care of pediatric cardiovascular procedures with outcome statistics that rank among the national leaders
Why Children's Health?
The Heart Center's team of professionals includes cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, cardiac intensivists, neonatologists and cardiac anesthesiologists. In addition to providing the highest quality clinical and surgical care, we are committed to improving the health of children everywhere by sharing our innovations and research. A vital component of our program at the Heart Center is our commitment to provide detailed cardiac education and support services for our patients and their families.
The Heart Center hopes its practices can be used as educational tools for other cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiology professionals.