Andrews Institute Sports Physical Therapy Residency
Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute Sports Physical Therapy residency is a 12-month program with a focus on providing treatment to patients with sports-related injuries. Upon completion, the resident will be prepared to sit and pass the sports specialty exam administered by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, and be positioned to be a leader in the sports physical therapy field. The program includes direct patient care, venue coverage, mentoring time, didactic education, research projects and presentations.
- Program Length: 12 Months
- Program Start: March each year
- Application Deadline: December
- Location: Children’s Health Andrews Institute
- Caseload: Consists of sports patients as defined in the APTA description of residency practice. Resident’s caseload is 90% of typical case load to account for mentoring and other obligations of residency program.
- Coverage: Minimum of 300 hours at local high schools and various athletic organizations
Residency Eligibility Requirements
- Active Texas PT license
- Current emergency medical responder (EMR), emergency medical response for the athlete (ERA), ATC, or EMT certification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong skills in scientific inquiry and writing
- Evidence of commitment to a career in sports physical therapy