What is the Beyond ABC report?
More than 100 years of caring for the children of North Texas has established Children’s Health as not only the region’s leading pediatric health care system, but a prominent authority and passionate advocate for the advancement of pediatric health throughout our communities.
Every other year, we publish the Beyond ABC report to provide an in-depth look at the quality of life for children in Dallas, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Fannin and Grayson counties. In the report, we examine four key areas that shape a child’s quality of life today and influence their opportunities for tomorrow: health, economic security, safety and education.
2021 Beyond ABC Recommendations
The 2021 Beyond ABC Advisory Board identified key recommendations to make life better for children in North Texas. They include:
- Strengthen mental and behavioral health care for Texas children and adolescents
- Improve health coverage for uninsured Texas children and families
- Support greater community health equity
- Improve housing stability throughout North Texas
- Invest in a stronger, more effective early childhood education and child care system
- Support safe and effective homes and services for kids in the foster care system
- Combat and prevent online threats to children
- Address unfinished learning and close achievement gaps
- Bridge the digital and technology resource divide
Read more about these recommendations and what you can do to help in the report.
Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Our mission is to make life better for children, and we are dedicated to doing that every day, regardless of the circumstances. As such, the largest public health crisis in more than a century called for a response that was unprecedented and unmatched, which is what we delivered when the COVID‑19 pandemic hit North Texas. Here is how we mobilized our resources to provide care.
- Our Virtual Care team found innovative and effective ways to continue to deliver high‑quality pediatric medical care
- Transitioned 74 clinics that typically see patients in person to virtual appointments
- Provided free access to COVID‑19 screenings through our Virtual Visit app
- Trained more than 985 providers, 1,000 nurses and 250 support staff on how to use our virtual platforms
- Launched our Telehealth at Home program in more than 200 schools across North Texas to keep students healthy from home
- Adapted our School-Based Telebehavioral Health program to ensure children received behavioral health care from home, reaching 208 schools across 30 Texas school districts
- Set up a Bedside Telemedicine Program with 73 telehealth carts to be used where patients were in isolation, resulting in more than 15,000 patient and health care team member connections
- Provided factual and trusted information about COVID‑19 through our communication channels, including Childrens.com, online resource pages, emails and newsletters
- Offered all team members and their household members COVID‑19 vaccinations as soon as they were approved for emergency use
- Offered vaccinations for our patients ages 12 and older once they were approved for use
- Offered vaccinations at Children’s Health Dallas and Plano campuses in addition to hosting pop-up vaccination sites in Southern Dallas, Plano and Richardson
Read more about our actions and what you can do to help in the report.
I Choose Children’s Health
As a nonprofit, your support of Children’s Health helps us to do more than provide medical care. Together, we help make life better for children.
When you choose Children’s Health, you’re choosing to care for children in need. You’re choosing to help discover breakthrough treatments and find cures for kids. You’re choosing to expand mental health care for children. You’re choosing to support our areas of greatest need.
Your time and money go to giving kids the best care, the best experience and the best chance to get back to being a kid again. You make it possible for us to do what we do best.
Join us by visiting give.childrens.com.