What is the Beyond ABC Report?
More than 100 years of caring for the children of North Texas has established Children’s Health℠ as not only the region’s leading pediatric health care system, but as a prominent authority and passionate advocate for the advancement of pediatric health throughout our communities.
Published every other year, the Beyond ABC report provides an in-depth look at the quality of life for children in Dallas, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Fannin and Grayson counties. In the report, we examine four key areas that shape a child’s quality of life today and influence their opportunities for tomorrow. Check this page for updates on our 2021 report, which will be released in November!
2019 Beyond ABC Recommendations
The 2019 Beyond ABC Advisory Board identified key recommendations to make life better for children in North Texas. They include:
- Increase the number of insured children and safeguard access to CHIP and Medicaid
- Promote strategies to increase child immunization rates
- Expand viable transportation options to connect more people with jobs
- Expand trauma-informed care education, training and intervention throughout the child welfare system
- Strengthen resources for child abuse prevention programs
- Increase education and training opportunities for teachers, particularly in cultural diversity and mental health
- Strengthen the quality of early childhood education and care
Read More about the recommendations and what you can do in the report.
What We’re Doing to Help
The Beyond ABC report allows us to focus on and prioritize the most urgent community health needs. A few of the ways that Children's Health is making life better for children:
- Address child mental health needs and expand access to pediatric mental health services with telemedicine
- Safeguard access to CHIP and Medicaid and increase the number of insured Texas children through our Community Outreach Team
- Ensure that all working Texas parents have access to affordable, safe, quality child care through work with coalition groups
- Combat child poverty; connect more people, particularly in rural and underserved areas, with resources and jobs
- Expand trauma-informed care education, training and intervention through our Rees-Jones Center for Foster Care Excellence
- Increase education and training opportunities for teachers, particularly in mental health, through our work with the DFW Hospital Council
Read about our work and what you can do to help in the report.
I Choose Children’s Health
As a nonprofit, your support of Children’s Health allows us to do more than treat illness and injury. Together, we help make life better for children.
When you choose Children’s Health, you’re choosing care for children in need. You’re choosing advanced medical research that is finding cures for kids. You’re choosing to improve the health and wellness for kids across the North Texas community.
Your time and money go to giving kids the best care, the best experience and the best chance to get back to being a kid again. You make it possible for us to do what we do best.
Join us by visiting give.childrens.com.
What Others are Saying
- The Dallas Morning News: With suicide rates and child mortality on rise in Dallas, experts urge for more help for kids’ mental health
- NBC DFW: Children's Mental Health Care Tops Headlines in Hospital Report
- NBC DFW: Joppa Kids Receive One-of-a-Kind Experience for Children’s Health Beyond ABC Report
- CBS 11: Literacy "Critical" to Academic Success: Beyond ABC Report Statistic Cause for Concern
- CBS 11: Telebehavioral Health Program at Children's Health Highlighted in Connection to Release of 2019 Beyond ABC Report
- KRLD Radio: More Kids Struggling with Mental Wellness, Medical Community Says Focus Must Shift
- Univision 23: Children’s Health Beyond ABC Report Reveals Quality of Life Statistics for Children in North Texas
How Far We’ve Come
- Executive Summary 2019 (*Resumen ejecutivo 2019)
- Assessing the Well-being of Children in North Texas 2017
- Executive Summary 2017 (*Resumen ejecutivo 2017)
- Summary One-Pager 2017
- Assessing the Well-being of Children in Dallas County and the North Texas
- Corridor 2015 (Una evaluación del bienestar de los niños del conado de Dallas y el corridor norte de Texas 2015)
- Assessing Children's Health in the North Texas Corridor 2014
- Assessing Children's Health in Dallas County 2013
- Assessing Children's Health in the North Texas Corridor 2012
- Assessing Children's Health in Dallas County 2011
- Assessing Children's Health in the North Texas Corridor 2010
- Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy: 2013 | 2016 | 2019