Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Children’s Health℠ Located?
Today, with a full range of pediatric health, wellness, and acute care services across multiple locations we are offering more services to more children in more places than ever before. Please select from the following:
Bus and rail routes
Hospital and Visiting Hours
What are the hospital’s operating hours?
The hospital is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
When are visiting hours?
Visiting hours for all units, including the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), are from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. seven days a week.
When are outpatient hours?
For information about outpatient office hours please call 844-4CHILDRENS.
What gifts can I bring to a patient?
Gifts are allowed except for potted plants and latex balloons. Learn more about visiting a patient at Children’s Heath.
How can I send a gift to a patient?
Children's Medical Center Dallas
- For patients receiving inpatient care at Children’s Medical Center Dallas, you can quickly and conveniently send them a gift using our new Amazon Locker service. Learn more about Amazon Lockers and how to use them to send a gift.
- The Children's Corner Gift Shop is open 7 days a week 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Order may be placed in person or by calling the gift shop at 214-456-2160.
Children's Medical Center Plano
- For patients receiving inpatient care at Children's Medical Center Plano, you can quickly and conveniently send them a gift using our online gift shop. Learn more.
- Kelli's Gift shop is located in the pharmacy (Suite L1203) at Children's Medical Center Plano.
How many people can visit a patient’s room at once?
Four visitors are allowed in a patient’s room at a time. Children under the age of five are not allowed in patient care units. Learn more about visiting a patient at Children’s Heath by clicking here.
Am I allowed to bring food?
Yes. Food is allowed on the patient floors except for the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and the surgery waiting room.
Can I take pictures of the hospital (inside/outside)?
Yes. However, for the privacy and safety of our patients, we ask that you not take pictures of patients and their families.
Where is the train display located?
The train display is located on the lobby level of Building C. The train display runs from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m. seven days a week. Learn more by clicking here.
How much is parking?
- Children's Medical Center Dallas
- Children's Health Specialty Center Dallas Campus
Self-parking is free during the first hour and gradually increases from $2 - $7. Rates repeat every 48 hours. We also offer valet parking that ranges from $7 - $10 per day.
- Children's Medical Center Plano
- Children's Health Specialty Center 1 Plano
- Children's Health Specialty Center 2 Plano
Free parking is available at Children's Medical Center Plano for both valet and self-parking.
Our Children's House
Free parking is available at Our Children's House.
Does Children’s provide a shuttle service around the Dallas campus?
Yes. Shuttle services are provided the following destinations:
- Children’s Medical Center Dallas
(main hospital entrance)
- Children’s Health Specialty Center
- Bright Building/
Trinity Railway Express (TRE)
- Southwestern Medical District/
Parkland DART Station
- Trinity Towers
For information about departure times and routes please stop by any concierge desk or view our shuttle tracker.
To contact the driver about items left on the shuttle or other issues, visit the Shuttle Tracker and use the “Contact us” link.
- Children’s Medical Center Dallas
Overnight Lodging and Food
Where is the closest hotel?
Please stop by the Concierge desk for hotel information or call us at 844-4CHILDRENS.
Where is the Ronald McDonald House located?
Where are the closest restaurants located?
The concierge staff can provide a list of nearby restaurants including fast food, dine-in or carry out.
Can I purchase meal cards at the hospital?
Yes. Meal cards may be purchased at any of the cafeterias. Meal cards are $8. Learn more about dining at Children's.
Where are the closest grocery stores?
How do I make an appointment?
- Appointments can be requested online or by calling 844-4CHILDRENS.
- You may also use MyChart to schedule any follow up appointments with your child’s provider.
- To learn more about MyChart click here.
When/where is my child’s appointment?
Where can I get a medical excuse for school or work?
Please follow up with your provider’s office. They can provide you with a letter. You can also print a letter by signing into MyChart.
Are wagons or wheelchairs available for me to use?
Yes. Please stop by any concierge desk to borrow a wagon or wheelchair. Learn more.
Insurance and Billing
Does Children’s accept my insurance?
For more information about insurance plans accepted by Children's Health contact our Admitting office at 214-456-2190. You can also contact your insurance carrier directly.
How do I pay my bill?
Can I apply for Medicaid at Children’s?
Yes, if you have received a bill from Children’s or your child has an upcoming appointment. Otherwise, to obtain more information about your local Medicaid office contact the Texas Health and Human Services Commission help line at 800-252-8263.
My child does not have medical insurance or Medicaid; can I still bring my child to Children’s Emergency Department?
Yes, by law, we do not deny care to anyone.
Wi-Fi and Computer Access
Where are the closest pharmacies located?
Children's Health has multiple on-site pediatric outpatient pharmacies.
Does Children’s Health offer car seat inspections?
How can I get a car seat if my child is on Medicaid?
How can I donate to or volunteer with Children’s Health?
Thank you for your generosity. Donations and volunteers are always welcome and appreciated. To learn more about how you can help, click here.