Orthopedics and Sports Medicine - Plano
Located at our Specialty Center in Plano, Children’s Health Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine is the new, one-stop destination your child needs for leading care. Developed under the direction of renowned orthopedics surgeon James Andrews, M.D., we diagnose and treat the full range of orthopedics condition and sport injuries, as well as prevent problems and improve athletic performance.
Our goal is to relieve your child’s pain and discomfort while providing a quick and safe return to play and other daily activities. We use the latest clinical and surgical technology, continually improving patient care through research and education.
Why Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute?
One of the few pediatric orthopedics and sports medicine programs in the region, the Andrews Institute cares for all types of orthopedics conditions and sports injuries. Our experienced specialists use sports-specific physical therapy and (when needed) minimally invasive techniques like arthroscopy to provide the least burdensome, most effective treatment possible.
Highlights of our program include:
- Advanced diagnosis: We use the latest tools and technology to accurately diagnose orthopedics conditions and sports injuries in children, teens and young adults. In addition to common problems, our physicians are trained to spot rare conditions. Learn more about the advanced imaging in our radiology department.
- Specialized, experienced physicians: All of our physicians have extensive training in their pediatric sub-specialties and perform a full range of nonsurgical and surgical procedures.
- Multidisciplinary approach: Our multidisciplinary team of highly skilled physicians, surgeons, nurses and in-house physical therapists work together to provide your child with comprehensive, personalized care.
- Patient and family education: We take the extra time to explain your child’s condition so that you and your child understand the options. Our physicians walk you through diagnostic tests, treatment and follow-up care, empowering your family to make the best possible decisions.
- Specialized programs: We offer a full spectrum of services, including:
- Concussion Program
- Congenital and Hereditary Disorders Program
- Dance Medicine Program
- Pediatric Trauma Program
- Sports Medicine Program
About Dr. Andrews
Dr. James Andrews is well known for treating tens of thousands of patients over his decades-long career, including professional sports stars and top college athletes. He has also pioneered and refined surgical and rehab techniques used around the world. More recently, he has turned his attention to preventing and treating injuries in younger patients. Through his nonprofit, the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI), he helped push for pitch counts in Little League. And he also wrote a book for parents, coaches and athletes titled Any Given Monday: Sports Injuries and How to Prevent Them, based on his experiences. Dr. Andrews worked with us to develop the institute, and one of our physicians previously completed his prestigious fellowship program. We strive to emulate Dr. Andrews’ record of extraordinary care and multidisciplinary teamwork.
Conditions We Treat
We diagnose and treating the full range of pediatric orthopedic conditions and sports injuries, including:
- Acetebular labral (hip) tear
- ACL injury
- Ankle instability and sprains
- Articular cartilage injury
- Benign bone tumors and cysts
- Bone and joint infections
- Clubfoot and Ponseti method
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH)
- Elbow instability
- Hip dysplasia in teens and young adults
- Hip impingement
- Growth plate injuries
- Kneecap instability and dislocation
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease
- Limb disorders
- Meniscus tears
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Overuse injuries
- Shoulder instability and dislocation
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE)
- Spinal problems in children
- Strains and sprains
Andrews Institute Treatments
We expertly deliver sophisticated and individualized treatments for a range of orthopaedic conditions, including:
- Bracing and casting
- Physical and occupational therapy (in-house)
- Tommy John for ulnar collateral ligament