Children’s Health Andrews Institute Spine Center
Pediatric spinal disorders can cause discomfort, disfigurement, pain and stress for your child. No parent wants to see a child suffer. At Children’s Health Andrews Institute Spine Center, parents can take comfort in the fact that we understand, and can accommodate, your desire to have your child assessed and treated by an expert medical team as soon as possible so that your child can return to a full, active life.
Our highly trained spine specialists treat all children, from spinal irregularities to scoliosis. Our compassion combined with our expertise and use of advanced treatment technology ensures that your child will receive the highest quality care and the best treatment option.
Why Children's Health℠ Andrews Institute?
Our full-service specialized pediatric spine program is family and patient focused, which means our entire team is sensitive to the special medical and emotional needs of young patients and their families. At our facility you’ll receive:
- Minimal wait time for appointments: Patients receive expert medical care from highly trained physicians within two weeks, and typically sooner. Direct referrals are accepted.
- Expert care close to home: We are conveniently located on the Children’s Health Plano Campus, the only pediatric spine center in Plano, making it easier for families in North Texas to get expert care close to home.
- Cutting edge advanced treatments: We are the only pediatric Spine Center in Texas, and one of the few in the country, to use Mazor Robotics Renaissance® Guidance System, which improves accuracy for screw placement during spine surgery. Learn more about diagnosis and treatment.
- Full service specialized pediatric care: We provide expert multidisciplinary care including pediatric orthopedic surgeons, pediatric radiologists, neurologists, physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians and physical therapists, in one place.
Treatment Options: When is Surgery Necessary?
One of the first questions parents usually ask is: will my child need spine surgery? The good news is that most patients will never need surgery. Our team exhausts all nonoperative treatment methods, first, before considering surgery. Nonoperative methods include:
- Mehta Casting
- Physical therapy
If surgery is required for scoliosis or a spinal curvature, which is typically recommended for curves that exceed 45 to 50 degrees, our expert spine surgery team uses the most advanced methods to correct a spinal curvature, as much as possible, as well as to prevent it from progressing. Operative methods include:
- MAGEC ™ Growing Rod placement
- Posterior spinal fusion with instrumentation
- Anterior approach and spinal fusion
- Vertebral resections