Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Rehabilitation
The sooner we see you after an injury, the less time you’ll spend on the sidelines. At Children’s Health Andrews Institute, our physician and physical therapy specialists aim to see children and adolescents within 24 to 48 hours of an injury.
With special training in pediatric orthopedics and sports medicine, we are uniquely qualified to treat children with a wide range of sports injuries and orthopedic conditions. Our team gets children and teenagers back to play, quickly and safely.
Why Choose Us for Orthopedic Rehab and Sports Medicine?
At Children’s Health Andrews Institute, we offer a range of rehabilitative and sports medicine services. Families choose us because our program offers:
- A focus on injury prevention: As part of our evaluation process, our specialists will perform assessments that determine whether an athlete has adequate movement, balance and strength from head to toe. By looking at the entire body and not just at a specific injury, we can address injury risk and correct any factors to help prevent a future injury from occurring.
- Physical therapy and sports performance in one: In a unique program with EXOS, our rehabilitative specialists work with strength conditioning specialists to bridge physical therapy and sports performance. With programs individualized to each child’s or adolescent’s needs, our goal is to return an athlete to his or her activity at a higher performance level than before an injury, such as an ACL tear or concussion. Read more about our concussion treatment program.
- A team approach to care: Together, we offer your child care tailored especially to him or her. Our physicians work closely with physical therapists to ensure a smooth and effective recovery. We’re also in touch with athletic trainers in the community, to help ease athletes’ transition back to sports.
- Advanced equipment, quality care: We offer advanced rehabilitative equipment, including an ALterG anti-gravity treadmill and a high-tech HydroWorx® pool (coming soon at our new facility). Aquatic therapy provides a lower impact solution to challenging the muscles during rehab.
- Sports Movement Assessment - Our team of sports medicine professionals can use specialized motion capture equipment in our biomechanics lab to learn about the mechanics behind patients’ movements to identify injury patterns and improve performance. But the secret to our success lies in the training and approach of our healthcare professionals.
Our Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Team
Our pediatric and sports medicine specialists are experts at rehabilitation for children and adolescents. Our care team includes:
- Pediatric orthopedic and sports medicine physicians
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Athletic trainers
- Strength and conditioning specialists
- Sports dietitian, part of our nutrition services
Orthopedic Conditions We Treat
The No. 1 priority of our rehabilitative specialists is to restore normal mobility, strength and functional movement patterns in children and adolescents. In coordination with our pediatric orthopedic and spine care specialists, we use a variety of physical and occupational therapies to treat a range of orthopedic needs, including:
- Knee injuries, including ACL, cartilage and other common injuries of the knee
- Upper extremity including a specialization in shoulder and elbow injuries to young throwers and overhead athletes
- Ligament sprains and strains for all joints
- Spine and back injuries
- Extremity injuries of the hand, wrist, elbow or shoulder
For questions about our therapy services or to make an appointment, please call 469-303-2508.