Dance Sports Medicine
A dancer moves like no other athlete. The precision, flexibility and repetition of dancers’ movements make them particularly vulnerable to injury. They also require a unique approach to treatment and recovery so dancers can recover quickly without losing learned techniques or muscle memory.
Children’s Health Andrews Institute provides a program aimed specifically at the treatment, rehabilitation and injury prevention of dancers to help them get back on their feet.
Why Choose Andrews Institute for Dance Sports Medicine?
We treat dancers of all backgrounds and abilities, from recreational to pre-professional athletes in classical ballet, jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, tap and competitive dance. What makes our program stand out:
- Expert Care: Our dance sports medicine care team is led by a sports medicine physician with 15 years of experience evaluating and treating pre-professional dancers and is also a member of the International Association of Dance Medicine & Science.
- An in-house dance studio: Our brand-new facility offers a sophisticated in-house dance studio with a spring floor, barre and full-length mirror, intended specifically for rehabilitation, dance injury prevention and performance improvement.
- Focus on injury prevention and performance improvement: When evaluating and treating dance injuries, our team focuses on dual end goals: identifying underlying factors to prevent future injury and correcting technique to enable dancers to perform at their best. We offer a dance-specific injury prevention program, for both injured and uninjured dancers.
Evaluating Dance Injuries
When evaluating dance injuries, our care team uses appropriate dance-specific and diagnostic tests to assess foot and ankle flexibility, stability and strength, balance and technique. We treat and manage a range of dance injuries, including:
- Stress fractures of the foot
- Posterior ankle impingement
- Tendonitis of the flexor hallucis longus, causing pain in the ankle
- Hip problems, including hip flexor tendonitis and hip impingement
Dance Injury Rehabilitation
When managing dance injuries, our care team focuses on identifying the factors that contribute to an injury and correcting that for the future. Our dance sports medicine treatment services include:
- Dance-specific rehab recommendations: We realize the importance of maintaining dancers’ technical skills. Often that means sending dancers to therapy immediately, so they can return to their sport with a minimal loss of skills and muscle memory.
- An injury prevention program: We offer an injury prevention program that helps injured dancers rehabilitate safely. Trained staff members assess dancers’ flexibility, strength and balance and work to correct any deficits that may predispose dancers to future injury.
Dance Sports Performance Services
Using our fully equipped dance studio on the facility’s premises, we also provide performance assessments for uninjured dancers.
- Injury prevention: This is appropriate for young dancers or anyone interested in perfecting technique. In this assessment, we can identify and correct areas of weakness in flexibility or technique that may lead to injury. By correcting movements, dancers also improve their performance.
- Pre-pointe assessment: In the pre-pointe assessment, designed specifically for ballet dancers, we:
- Evaluate a dancer's readiness to go en pointe
- Make recommendations for ways to improve a dancer’s flexibility, strength and balance
- Recommend strength, flexibility and balance testing, where applicable
To make an appointment, please call 469-303-3000.