Stephen R. Chorney, M.D., M.P.H., is a Pediatric Otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor) at Children's Health℠.
Dr. Chorney specializes in treating conditions that impact a child’s ability to breathe, feed and communicate. He is a surgeon in the Pediatric Airway Management Program, providing multidisciplinary care for children with complex aerodigestive disorders. Dr. Chorney offers advanced surgical options for pediatric subglottic stenosis, laryngeal cleft and vocal cord paralysis.
Dr. Chorney earned his medical degree at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. After completing an otolaryngology residency at SUNY Upstate Medical University, he obtained fellowship training in pediatric otolaryngology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. In addition, he received a Master of Public Health degree from Rutgers University School of Public Health.
“When children struggle with breathing and swallowing, anxiety levels in their families can soar,” he says. “My goal is to build strong relationships, help families understand what their child is facing and support them every step of the way.”
Dr. Chorney is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology. His research focuses on improving outcomes in pediatric tracheostomy and obstructive sleep apnea. Dr. Chorney’s professional interests include patient safety and quality improvement initiatives.
In his spare time, Dr. Chorney enjoys running, golfing and spending time with his wife, as they explore the phenomenal activities around Dallas.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (2013)
- SUNY Upstate Medical University (2018), Otolaryngology
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2020), Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Otolaryngology
Departments and Programs
- Pediatric Aerodigestive Disorders
- Pediatric Airway Reconstruction
- Pediatric Voice Disorders
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement
- Algorithm-Based Pediatric Otolaryngology Management During the COVID-19 Global Pandemic: A Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Clinical Consensus. Chorney SR, Elden LM, Giordano T, Kazahaya K, Rizzi MD, Zur KB, Dedhia K, Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2020 07 163 1 25-37
- The Role of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery in Children Undergoing External Drainage of Non-Medial Subperiosteal Orbital Abscess. Chorney SR, Buzi A, Rizzi MD, American journal of rhinology & allergy 2020 Aug 1945892420953790
- Reflux as a Risk Factor for Morbidity after Pediatric Tonsillectomy: A National Cohort of Inpatients. Chorney SR, Zur KB, Buzi A, The Laryngoscope 2020 Jul
- Recurrent Facial Nerve Paresis in a Child With Chronic Otitis Media With Effusion. Tampio AJF, Chorney SR, Nicholas BD, Ear, nose, & throat journal 2020 03 99 3 187-189
- Recorded Flexible Nasolaryngoscopy for Neonatal Vocal Cord Assessment in a Prospective Cohort. Chorney SR, Zur KB, Buzi A, McKenna Benoit MK, Chennupati SK, Kleinman S, DeMauro SB, Elden LM, The Annals of otology, rhinology, and laryngology 2020 Aug 3489420950370
- Reducing Pediatric Tracheostomy Wound Complications: An Evidence-Based Literature Review. Baker LR, Chorney SR, Advances in skin & wound care 2020 Jun 33 6 324-328
- Pediatric adenoidectomy in the very young child and indications for postoperative inpatient admission. Chorney SR, Dailey JF, Zur KB, International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology 2020 Mar 130 109796
- Diagnostic considerations prior to pediatric tracheocutaneous fistula closure. Chorney SR, Husain S, Sobol SE, International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology 2020 Nov 138 110357
- Post-Tonsillectomy Hemorrhage and the Diagnosis of Occult Pediatric Coagulopathies. Chorney SR, Weinberger R, Weintraub AY, Buzi A, The Laryngoscope 2020 Nov
- Considerations for povidone-iodine antisepsis in pediatric nasal and pharyngeal surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. Chorney SR, Rizzi MD, Dedhia K, American journal of otolaryngology 2020 Nov - Dec 41 6 102737
- Adenoidectomy Without Tonsillectomy for Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Chorney SR, Zur KB, Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2020 Sep 194599820955172
- Timing the First Pediatric Tracheostomy Tube Change: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Chorney SR, Patel RC, Boyd AE, Stow J, Schmitt MM, Lipman D, Dailey JF, Nhan C, Giordano T, Sobol SE, Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2020 Sep 194599820954137
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.