$$ Robert Douglas B. Jaquiss, MD Division Director at Children's Health Associate Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Robert Jaquiss, M.D., is division director of pediatric and congenital cardiothoracic surgery and co-director of the Heart Center at Children’s Health℠. He is also a professor of pediatric cardiothoracic surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Jaquiss is a surgeon who specializes in neonatal heart surgery, surgery for mechanical circulatory support and heart transplantation.
Dr. Jaquiss received his medical degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee. He completed his cardiothoracic surgery residency and fellowship training at Washington University in St. Louis, and completed a pediatric cardiac surgery fellowship at St. Louis Children's Hospital.
Dr. Jaquiss has extensive clinical research experience. As an internationally recognized pediatric heart surgeon, he has authored more than 100 research articles about pediatric heart surgery.
Dr. Jaquiss is a member of numerous surgical societies and professional organizations.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolVanderbilt University (1986)
ResidencyWashington University School of Medicine (1990), General Surgery
FellowshipWashington University Consortium Program (1995), Pediatric Cardiology
Washington University Consortium Program (1994), Thoracic Surgery
Conditions & Treatments
Adult congenital heart surgery
Aortic valve repair/replacement
Complete atrioventricular canal
Congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries
Coronary artery anomalies
Double outlet right ventricle
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
Interrupted aortic arch
Left ventricular outflow tract obstruction
Mitral valve repair/replacement
Partial anomalous pulmonary veins
Pulmonary valve repair/replacement
Tracheal or bronchial anomalies
Tricuspid valve repair/replacement
Repair of coarctation of the aorta
Repair of septal defects
Repair of TAPVR/PAPVR
Vascular rings and pulmonary arterial sling
Research & Publications
- Eghtesady P, Almond CS, Tjossem C, Epstein D, Imamura M, Turrentine M, Tweddell J, Jaquiss RD, Canter C; Berlin Heart Investigators. Post-transplant outcomes of children bridged to transplant with the Berlin Heart EXCOR Pediatric ventricular assist device. Circulation. 2013 Sep 10;128(11 Suppl 1):S24-31.
Byrnes JW, Bhutta AT, Rettiganti MR, Gomez A, Garcia X, Dyamenahalli U, Johnson C, Jaquiss RD, Imamura M, Prodhan P. Steroid therapy attenuates acute phase reactant response among children on ventricular assist device support. Ann Thorac Surg. 25 Apr;99(4):1392-8.
- Hornik CP, Collins RT 2nd, Jaquiss RD, Jacobs JP, Jacobs ML, Pasquali SK, Wallace AS, Hill KD. Adverse cardiac events in children with Williams syndrome undergoing cardiovascular surgery: An analysis of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Congenital Heart Surgery Database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Jun;149(6):1516-22.
- Malik S, Bird TM, Jaquiss RD, Morrow WR, Robbins JM. Comparison of in-hospital and longer-term outcomes of hybrid and Norwood stage 1 palliation of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Sep;150(3):474-480.
- Rosenthal DN, Almond CS, Jaquiss RD, Peyton CE, Auerbach SR, Morales DR, Epstein DJ, Cantor RS, Kormos RL, Naftel DC, Butts RJ, Ghanayem NS, Kirklin JK, Blume ED.Adverse events in children implanted with ventricular assist devices in the United States: Data from the Pediatric Interagency Registry for Mechanical Circulatory Support (PediMACS). J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May;35(5):569-77.
- Wheeler AP, Jaquiss RDB, Newman JH. Physician practices in the treatment of pulmonary embolism and deep venous thrombosis. Arch Int Med. 1988;148:1321-25.
- Shuman TA, Palazzo RS, Jaquiss RDB, Harper BD, Barzilai B, Cox JL, Kouchoukos NT, Wareing TH. A model of right ventricular failure after global myocardial ischemia and mechanical left ventricular support. ASAIO Trans. 1991;37:M212-13.
- Pyo R, Pirolo JS, Schuessler RB, Jaquiss RDB, Saffitz JE, Ferguson TB Jr. Quantitation of steroid induced reversal of myocardial contractile dysfunction during early cardiac allograft rejection. Surgical Forum. 1992; 42:408-10.
- Jaquiss RDB, Cronin CS, Nitta T, Mitsuno M, Schuessler RB, Boineau JP, Cox JL. Technical modification of the Maze Procedure for atrial fibrillation. Surgical Forum. 1992;43:264-66.
- Glick DB, Cronin CS, Jaquiss RDB, Ferguson TB Jr. The use of the autoperfusing heart lung preparation for electrophysiologic studies. Surgical Forum. 1993;44:309-11.
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- 2015-present American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Credentials Committee for Congenital Cardiac Surgery
- 2012-present American Society for Artificial Internal Organs
- 2008-present American Association for Thoracic Surgery (Education Committee)