Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)
What is Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)?
Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) at Children’s Health℠ is a comprehensive test for children of all ages with disorders of the respiratory system. More than 1,200 procedures a month are performed for patients with asthma, cystic fibrosis, exercise intolerance, sickle cell disease, neuro-muscular disease, rare restrictive lung diseases, lung disease secondary to childhood cancers, heart disease and organ transplantation.
What procedures are performed during Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)?
- Bronchodilator studies
- Exhaled nitric oxide (FENO)
- Lung volumes by plethysmography or nitrogen washout
- Diffusion capacity
- End tidal carbon dioxide monitoring (ETCO2)
- 6 minute walk test
- Exercise provocation test (Treadmill Exercise Test)
- Methacholine challenge
- Cold air challenge
- Cardiopulmonary exercise with metabolic testing
- Resting energy expenditure (REE)
- Respiratory muscle strength measurements (MIP/MEP)
- High Altitude Simulation Test (HAST)
- Oxygen saturation measurements
- Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT)
What are the prep instructions before Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)?
- A written order is required for testing.
- Pre-authorization is required by some insurance plans.
- Patient instructions for specific tests will be provided when the appointment is scheduled.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient’s referring physician.
- Evaluation is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) Doctors and Providers
Frequently Asked Questions
What conditions may be evaluated with Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT)?
We provide comprehensive pulmonary function testing for children age five and older who have disorders that affect the respiratory system. Some of the conditions evaluated include:
What are the benefits of choosing Children’s Health?
- Our labs are ATS registered
- Our pulmonary function technologists have a combined total of 125 years of respiratory care experience and 50 years of pediatric pulmonary function testing experience.
- Our technologists hold certifications in RRT, RPFT, CPFT, NPS,
- We use child-friendly, state of the art equipment