Pediatric allergy insurance options
What you need to know about insurance
We understand that billing can be complicated. Please see the Billing FAQs and Terms to Know under the Finance and Insurance section for more information. You can also email the billing department at email@example.com.
Seeing a dietitian
A part of Food Allergy visits is often seeing a dietitian. Our dietitians have specific codes they file with the insurance companies. Your insurance company will typically cover some codes but not others.
The dietitian codes at Children's are:
- CPT New patient code: 97802
- CPT Follow-up code: 97803
- Revenue code: 942
You need to call your insurance provider and ask how they view the above codes. They can tell you if the code is covered or not. Therefore, you can make an educated decision about whether or not you wish to see a dietitian during your visit.
We do not want you to incur unexpected costs. Children's labs services are specialized for pediatrics. However, not all insurance plans recognize Children's as a preferred provider for lab services. If you choose to have lab services done elsewhere, Children's will be happy to help you find the center most convenient for you.
If you have insurance
- Our pre-registration department will call you before your appointment. They will ask for your insurance information.
- Most insurance companies require a referral of service from your primary care doctor for your child to be treated in one of the Children's specialty clinics.
- The doctors who treat patients at Children's are not employed by the hospital. Many doctors are contracted with the same insurance plans as the hospital. However, some doctors (such as emergency room doctors, anesthesiologists and surgeons) may not have the same contracts. Please contact your insurance company to verify if the doctor treating your child is in your plan's network.
- Since doctors are not employed by the hospital, you can expect to receive bills from the hospital as well as separate bills from doctors for their professional services. Usually, more than one doctor will care for your child. So, you may receive several doctor bills (attending doctor, surgeon, radiologist, pathologist, etc.). Depending on the type of visit you have at the hospital, you may also receive separate bills for charges such as lab tests or certain supplies.
If you do not have insurance
Children’s Medical Center offers financial counseling services. We will walk you through the steps to get third party coverage. Many of our patient families are surprised to learn that their child qualifies for assistance.
Contact a financial counselor at 214-456-8640 weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you earn too much to qualify for assistance, and do not have insurance, you may be eligible for a prompt-pay discount. Please call customer service for this information, Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 214-456-BILL (2455) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.