Food-Allergy-Friendly Recipe: Chocolate Cake
This allergy-friendly recipe for chocolate cake, from Children's Health℠ Food Allergy Clinic, is also gluten and dairy free.
An estimated 34,191 children in Dallas County have food allergies. (Source: Beyond ABC 2013)
This week, we’re sharing recipes for an entire food-allergy-friendly holiday meal. You’ll want to try them all! The following allergy-friendly recipe is free of peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, soy, fish and shellfish. It's also gluten and dairy free.
(recipe courtesy of Children’s Health Food Allergy Center)
2 cups oat flour
1 cups sugar
6 Tbsps Cocoa Powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup rice milk
1/3 cup canola or cooking oil
1 tsp vinegar
3/4 tsp vanilla
1) Heat oven to 350°F.
2) Grease and flour (using oat flour) 9 X 9-inch square pan.
3) In a small mixing bowl combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl mix wet ingredients together.
4) Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and beat until smooth.
5) Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6) Cool; cut into squares.
7) Optional: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.