Food allergies affect up to 15 million people in the United States, including one in 13 children. The holidays can be an especially challenging time for families facing food allergies. That's why we're sharing recipes for an entire food allergy-friendly holiday meal. You'll want to try them all! The following allergy-friendly recipe is free of peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, soy, fish and shellfish.
Allergy-free chocolate cake
Serves 8; recipe courtesy of Children's Health Food Allergy Clinic
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 6 Tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/3 cup canola or cooking oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour (using oat flour) 9 X 9-inch square pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool; cut into squares.
- Optional: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.
Download your guide to allergen-free lunches
Looking for tips to pack allergy-friendly school lunches? Download the Parents' Guide to Allergen-Free Lunches for kid-friendly recipes that are free of the top eight food allergens. Download now.
Learn more tips for navigating food allergies during the holidays. Plus, see our other allergy-free holiday recipes:
You are now subscribed to the Children's Health Family Newsletter.