Diana Diesen, M.D., specializes in pediatric general and thoracic surgery at Children’s Health℠. She is an associate professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern and a pediatric surgery fellowship program director. Dr. Diesen’s clinical interests include surgical education, clinical outcomes in general and thoracic pediatric surgical conditions and pediatric surgical endocrine disorders, such as pediatric thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer and multiple endocrine neoplasia.
After receiving her medical degree at The University of Virginia, she completed her general surgical training at Duke University and her pediatric surgery fellowship training at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Diesen has been named a Top Doctor by D Magazine. She is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Pediatric Surgical Association, the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons and the Association for Academic Surgery.
Dr. Diesen lives in Dallas with her two shelter dogs. When she’s not working, she enjoys hiking, scuba diving and traveling.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (2004)
- Duke University School of Medicine (2011), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2013), Pediatric Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
Departments and Programs
- Pediatric Endocrine and thyroid conditions
- Resident and medical student education
- Clinical outcomes research
- Neonatal surgery
- Pediatric solid tumors
- Diesen DL, Skinner MA. Thyroid cancer in children. World Journal of Pediatrics, 2005, 2, 94-97.
- Diesen DL, Skinner MA. Pediatric Thyroid Cancer. Seminars in Pediatric Surgery. 2012 Feb; 21(1):44-50
- Lairmore T, Diesen DL, Goldfarb M, Milas M, Ying A, Sharma J, McIver B, Wong RJ, Randolph G. AACE Endocrine Surgery Scientific Committee. AACE and American College of Endocrinology Disease State Clinical Review: Timing of MEN Thyroidectomy and Extent of Central Neck Lymphadenectomy. Endocr Pract. 2015 Jul;21(7):839-47.
- Diesen DL. “Thyroid nodules”, multimedia module for the American Board of Surgery Pediatric SCORE curriculum, 2015.
- Diesen DL. “Endocrine disease”, multimedia module for the American Board of Surgery Pediatric SCORE curriculum, 2015.
- Diesen DL, Skinner MA. Endocrine Disorders and Tumors. In Holcomb & Murphy (Eds.) Ashcraft’s Pediatric Surgery. (6th ed.) Elsevier, March 2014.
- Diesen DL, Skinner MA. Head and neck tumors. In Carachi & Grosfeld (Eds.) The Surgery of Childhood tumors. (3rd ed.) Springer, in press 2015.
- Spendlove N, Rialon K, Burkhalter LS, Rong H, Skinner MA, Diesen DL. Contemporary review of Pediatric Thyroid Surgery. AAP 2015.
- Diesen DL Thyroid Nodules in Children. Pediatric Surgery Grand Rounds, Dallas, Tx. January 2015.
- Gardner A. Diesen DL. Scott DJ, Hogg D, Heurta S. The impact of goal setting and goal orientation on performance during a clearship surgical skills training program. Accepted American Journal of Surgery 2015.
- Diesen DL, Erhunmwunsee L, Bennett K, Ben-David K, Yurcisin B, Ceppa EP, Omotosho PA, Perez A, Pryor A. Effectiveness of laparoscopic computer simulator versus usage of box trainer for endoscopic surgery training of novices. Surg Educ. 2011 Jul-Aug;68(4):282-9. Epub 2011 May 4.
- Wadi H, Diesen D, Majewicz A. Training Wheels for Laparoscopic Surgery: Kinematic and Dynamic Constraints for Project Tool Handling. Poster Presentation SAGES. April 2015. Nashville, Tn. Pediatric Surgery Clinical Outcomes
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.