Colic is when a healthy baby cries for an extended period of time for no reason.
What is Pediatric Colic?
Colic typically begins suddenly with nonstop crying. This can be very stressful for mom and dad. The good news is colic will go away on its own after once the baby is around 3 months to 6 months old.
What are the signs and symptoms of Pediatric Colic?
- Clenching fist (while crying)
- Crying that last more than 3 hours a day
- Curling up legs towards their abdomen (while crying)
- Flushed face
- Happens more than 3 days a week
- Last for more than 3 weeks
- Tight belly
How is Pediatric Colic diagnosed?
- Medical history
- Physical exam
- Blood test
- Imaging (to rule out any other medical conditions)
What are the causes of Pediatric Colic?
The cause for colic is unknown. Some theories include:
- The baby is sensitive and having trouble adjusting
- The baby is unable to calm itself
- Milk allergy/intolerance