Transitioning to Adult Care Events
Children’s Health℠ offers two Transition Education Workshops for teens, young adults, parents, and healthcare teams to learn more about the transition to adult care. Workshops are held every September at the Dallas and Plano Specialty Care Centers. You do not have to be a patient family at Children’s Health to attend. If you are not able to attend in person, viewing the workshops online is available.
At the workshops, you will be able to:
- Hear from families who have been through the same transition journey
- Connect with community partners who can support the move to adult care
- Learn how to navigate the basics of health insurance
- Explore medical decision making options such as guardianship's, power of attorney, shared decision making, and independent care
- Learn about what to expect when transitioning to an adult provider.
Several clinics also offer condition specific transition education sessions. These sessions are focused specific transition needs of certain medical conditions. Talk to your clinic about upcoming condition specific transition education sessions.
Children’s Health wants to celebrate your transition to adult care. In the spring, Children’s Health hosts a graduation ceremony for its #childrenshealthgraduates. Talk to your clinic about graduation ceremonies throughout Children’s Health.