John Andrew Bird, M.D.
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
American Board of Allergy and Immunology
Dr. John Andrew Bird graduated medical school from the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio. He completed a pediatrics residency and an allergy and immunology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Bird was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award, which allowed him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University.
Dr. Bird is a Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, the director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Health℠, and an associate professor of pediatrics and internal medicine in the Division of Allergy and Immunology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. His research interests are in understanding and treating life-threatening reactions to foods, and he is currently working with colleagues in several ongoing clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy.
Education and Training
University of Texas HSC at San Antonio (2003)
Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
Research & Publications
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (2008)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)
Awards & Honors
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Moms Magazine (2013)
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Moms Magazine (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Family Magazine (2011)
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award (2010-2014)
- Dedman Family Scholar -Named Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care (2009)
- American Academy of Allergy - Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award (2008)