Drew Bird, MD $$
Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Dr. Andrew "Drew" Bird is a Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, the director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Health℠, and a professor of pediatrics and internal medicine in the Division of Allergy and Immunology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Bird's research interests are in understanding and treating life-threatening reactions to foods, and he is currently working with colleagues in several ongoing clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy.
Dr. Bird earned his medical degree from UT Health Science Center at San Antonio and completed his residency and fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine.
He was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award allowing him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University.
Dr. Bird was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2014, 2018, 2020 - 2022, and was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2018.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas HSC at San Antonio (2003)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Allergy and Immunology
Departments and Programs
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
- Food allergy research
- Berin MC, Lozano-Ojalvo D, Agashe C, Baker MG, Bird JA, Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Acute FPIES reactions are associated with an IL-17 inflammatory signature. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021 Sep;148(3):895-901.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2021.04.012. Epub 2021 Apr 20. PubMed PMID: 33891982; NIHMSID:NIHMS1695627.
- Bégin P, Bird JA, Spergel JM, Campbell DE, Green TD, Bee KJ, Lambert R, Sampson HA, Fleischer DM. Reduction in peanut reaction severity during oral challenge after 12 months of epicutaneous immunotherapy. Allergy. 2021 Sep 7;. doi: 10.1111/all.15083. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34492123.
- Nicolaides R, Bird JA, Cianferoni A, Brown-Whitehorn T, Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Oral Food Challenge for FPIES in Practice-A Survey: Report from the Work Group on FPIES Within the Adverse Reactions to Foods Committee, FAED IS, AAAAI. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Oct;9(10):3608-3614.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2021.06.061. Epub 2021 Sep 2. PubMed PMID: 34483087.
- Bird JA, Barni S, Brown-Whitehorn TF, du Toit G, Infante S, Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome oral food challenge: Time for a change?. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2021 May;126(5):506-515. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2021.02.022. Epub 2021 Mar 1. Review. PubMed PMID: 33662509.
- Greiwe J, Oppenheimer J, Bird JA, Fleischer DM, Pongracic JA, Greenhawt M. AAAAI Work Group Report: Trends in Oral Food Challenge Practices Among Allergists in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Nov - Dec;8(10):3348-3355. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.07.035. PubMed PMID: 33161964.
- Bird JA, Crain M, Guenther MW, Parrish CP. Reply to "Oral food challenge protocol for food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome: time for a change?". J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Sep;8(8):2844. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2020.06.023. PubMed PMID: 32888543.
- Fleischer DM, Shreffler WG, Campbell DE, Green TD, Anvari S, Assa'ad A, Bégin P, Beyer K, Bird JA, Brown-Whitehorn T, Byrne A, Chan ES, Cheema A, Chinthrajah S, Chong HJ, Davis CM, Ford LS, Gagnon R, Greenhawt M, Hourihane JO, Jones SM, Kim EH, Lange L, Lanser BJ, Leonard S, Mahler V, Maronna A, Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Oriel RC, O'Sullivan M, Petroni D, Pongracic JA, Prescott SL, Schneider LC, Smith P, Staab D, Sussman G, Wood R, Yang WH, Lambert R, Peillon A, Bois T, Sampson HA. Long-term, open-label extension study of the efficacy and safety of epicutaneous immunotherapy for peanut allergy in children: PEOPLE 3-year results. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020 Oct;146(4):863-874. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2020.06.028. Epub 2020 Jul 10. PubMed PMID: 32659313.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Cianferoni A, Bird JA, Fiocchi A, Caubet JC. Managing food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic: Expert recommendations. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 Jul;125(1):14-16. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.04.032. Epub 2020 May 5. PubMed PMID: 32387170; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7199693.
- Upton JEM, Bird JA. Oral food challenges: Special considerations. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020 May;124(5):451-458. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.02.008. Epub 2020 Feb 21. Review. PubMed PMID: 32088320.
- Guenther MW, Crain M, Parrish CP, Bird JA. An observed serving dose may not be necessary following a standard divided-dose FPIES oral food challenge. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020 Apr;8(4):1462-1464. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2019.10.041. Epub 2019 Nov 11. PubMed PMID: 31726232.
- Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society (2010)
- European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (2008)
- American Medical Association (2008-2010)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist, (2011- 2018, 2020-2021)
- Mom-Approved Doctor 2017, Dallas Child Magazine
- Texas Super Doctor 2015-2017, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Best Doctors in Dallas 2014, D Magazine
- Winn Master Physician in Food Allergy 2014, Children's Medical Center
- Super Doctor - Texas Rising Stars 2012-2014, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Young Faculty Support Award 2012, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- Honorary Medical Chair 2011, FAAN Walk
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award 2010-2014
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care 2009-2010
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award 2008