Dr. John Andrew Bird graduated medical school from the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio. He completed a pediatrics residency and an allergy and immunology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Bird was the first recipient of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology/Food Allergy Initiative Howard Gittis Memorial Award, which allowed him to complete a clinical research fellowship in food allergy under the direction of Dr. Wesley Burks at Duke University.
Dr. Bird is a Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care, the director of the Food Allergy Center at Children’s Health℠, and an associate professor of pediatrics and internal medicine in the Division of Allergy and Immunology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. His research interests are in understanding and treating life-threatening reactions to foods, and he is currently working with colleagues in several ongoing clinical trials using food proteins for immunotherapy.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas HSC at San Antonio (2003)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Allergy & Immunology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Allergy and Immunology
- Food allergy treatment
- Life-threatening reactions to foods
- European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (2008)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2003)
Awards and Honors
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Moms Magazine (2013)
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Moms Magazine (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists - D Family Magazine (2011)
- NIH Pediatric Loan Repayment Program Award (2010-2014)
- Dedman Family Scholar -Named Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care (2009)
- American Academy of Allergy - Asthma and Immunology Howard Gittis Memorial Award (2008)
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.