David E. Fixler, M.D., is a cardiologist at Children’s Health℠ and a professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After receiving his medical degree from the University of Chicago, Dr. Fixler completed his cardiology fellowship at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago and postdoctoral research at the Cardiovascular Research Institute at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Fixler’s clinical interests include hypertension, Kawasaki disease and the epidemiology of congenital heart defects.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Childrens Memorial Medical Ctr (1967), Pediatrics
- University of CA at San Francisco School of Med (1971), Cardiovascular Disease
Childrens Memorial Medical Ctr (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Five-year survival of Texas infants with a functional single ventricle born during 1996-2003. Fixler DE, Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Canfield MA. Circulation 2010 121 644-650
- Mortality resulting from congenital heart disease among children and adults in the United States, 1999 to 2006. Gilboa SM, Salemi JL, Nembhard WN, Fixler DE, Correa AC. Circulation 2010 122 2254-63
- Relationship between ambient air quality and selected birth defects, Seven County Study, Texas, 1997-2000. Gilboa SM, Mendola P, Olshan AF, Savitz DA, Loomis D, Herring AH, Fixler D. Am J Epidemiology 2005 162 238-252
- Ethnicity and socioeconomic status: impact on the diagnosis of congenital heart disease. Fixler DE, Pastor P, Sigman E and Eifler CW J Am Coll Cardiol 1993 21 1722-6
- The validity of mass blood pressure screening in children, Fixler DE, and Laird WP Pediatrics 1983 72 459-463
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research
Awards and Honors
- Robert L. Moore, MD - Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler - Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award - Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8 - Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award - Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.