These beanie burgers are light, tasty and a great alternative to the fast food options that many families choose.
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoons ground cumin, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
- Lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz. Fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ lime, juiced
- In a small bowl, mash the black beans with a fork. It’s ok to leave them a little bit chunky.
- In a larger bowl, crack the egg and mix with a fork until smooth.
- Add the chunky black beans, bread crumbs, scallions, cilantro or basil, garlic, cumin, oregano and olive oil and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each patty about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle the patties with salt and pepper.
- Put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Wait two minutes for the pan to get hot and add the patties. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the patties are browned and heated through.
- For the Greek yogurt topping, combined all ingredients in a small bowl until mixed completely.
- Serve on whole wheat hamburger bun with lettuce, tomato and Greek yogurt spread.
- Lettuce, tomatoes
- Slice of cheese
- Ketchup and mustard
- Light mayonnaise and avocado
Adapted from Chop Chop Magazine .
Want more healthy recipes? Download our 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers Your Kids Will Love.