Our commitment to keeping you safe
We have never taken for granted the sacred trust you place in us to care for your child, and today we are more grateful than ever for that privilege. To learn about all the ways we are working to keep you, your family and our team members safe, visit our COVID-19 updates page.
Effective January 1, 2021, the Children’s Health Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists and physician assistants became official employees of University of Texas Southwestern.
Students seeking a preceptor and attend a university where a tri-party agreement is needed, approval must come from the leadership at UTSW and Children’s Health. please read the requirements below for students requesting a tri-party
A tri-party affiliation agreement between UTSW / Children’s Health and the university must be active prior to the start of the student’s clinical rotation. Approval for initiating an agreement will be made by the leadership of both organizations. All communication regarding student placement should be sent to APPStudents@UTSouthwestern.edu. Once the Office of Advanced Practice Providers at UTSW has approved and placed a student, the OAPP Office will provide the link for the student to complete the online application.
After the submission of the Ultimus request, Students Services will send an email with documents the student is responsible to return:
- Sample Attestation letter
- Health Form & Immunization Documentation instructions
- Non-employee Confidentiality form
- Waiver & Release of Medical Liability
- Student Requirements for rotations at Children’s
- Covid Attestation letter
The clearance process through Student Services Department at Children’s Health begins a few weeks prior to the requested start date:
- Non-employee students (3-4 weeks)
- Children’s employee students (1-2 weeks)
Requirements apply to all.
Hosting Department - Requirements
Only non-employee students will be registered for the pertinent EPIC class, that is contingent on the specialty area of the clinical rotation.
**Students must complete CART to be registered for the EPIC course. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the CART is completed.
Departments transitioned to UTSW
- Allergy / Immunology
- ARCH / REACH / ARMS
- Bariatric Surgery
- Cardiology / CICU
- Cystic Fibrosis
- ED (Dallas & Plano)
- Foster Care
- Hematology / Oncology
- Neonatal ICU
- Neuro Concussion
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric ICU
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonology (including OCH)
- Sleep Medicine
- Solid Organ Transplant
- THRIVE (Low Birth Weight)
The departments listed below will remain with DPMSC and (AFC) Anesthesia for Children.
- All About Children Pediatric
- Orthopedic @ Andrew’s Institute
- Pediatric Heart Specialists (Dallas)
- CHMG (Children's Health Medical Group)
- Complex Care Medical Home
- Enterprise Care Management
- Telemedicine - Virtual Health
Anesthesia for Children (AFC)
- Pain Management
- Palliative Care
- Pre-Anesthesia Assessment (Dallas)
- Pre-Surgical Assessment (Plano)
Student - send an email to email@example.com for a preceptor in DPMSC or AFC
University with an Affiliated Agreement:
**Note – Students will receive an email from the Student Services Department regarding the clearance process:
- Non-employees should complete online application (4-6 weeks) before the start date
- Employees should complete the online application (2-3 weeks) before the start date
- An “affiliation agreement” with Children’s Health Systems must be active prior to the start of a student’s clinical rotation.
Students – looking for a preceptor should:
- Identify the specialty area(s) of interest, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an application
- The students information will be forwarded to the specialty area(s) of interest listed on their application.
- The individual teams will review the application and determine if they can accept the student. The team will notify email@example.com if they can accept the student request the clinical rotation
- Once the student receives approval from the team, APS will send the link for completing the online application
- Note to students: list each confirmed preceptor on the same application, and allot the necessary time for each rotation, the end date can be December 31st (a new online application is required for a rotation in a new calendar year)
- Student’s information will be entered into the Ultimus system. The Student Services Department processes clearance (non-employee students 2-3 weeks before rotation) . . . (employee / students 1-2 weeks before rotation) (Student Services and Graduate Student Services are different departments)
- Timeline – non-employee and Children’s employee students Non-employee students should complete the online application 4-6 WEEKS PRIOR TO THE REQUESTED START DATE
- Children’s employee students should complete the online application 2-3 WEEKS PRIOR TO THE REQUESTED START DATE
2. Clearance process – through Student Services Department
- All students must ensure the documents listed below are submitted to expedite the clearance process: StudentServices@childrens.com
- Waiver and Release of Medical Liability
- Attestation Letter from the university (also send to StudentServices@childrens.com)
- Occupational Health Forms
- Confidentiality form
- CART must be completed prior to starting the clinical rotation
- COVID Attestation Letter
3. Print and take the clearance email to the Badge Office, Bright Bldg. 3rd Floor
4. Non-employee Students - will be registered for an instructor-led virtual EPIC class:
- EPIC Ambulatory for New CMC Providers
- EPIC ASAP (Emergency Department)
**Students requesting a clinical rotation in the Emergency Department, or an Inpatient Unit will be enrolled in a virtual instructor-led EPIC course.
Students – OR (Operating Room) requirements
The university will issue a certificate attesting that the student has had sterile / scrubbing training for scrubbing into the OR. The student should have this certificate with them to present when asked.
Active Affiliation Agreements – Students with a preceptor
Students applying to the program from a university with a current Affiliation Agreement and have obtained a confirmation from a preceptor can complete the online application as soon as 90-days in advance.
Active Affiliation Agreements – Students without a preceptor
Students without a preceptor should begin by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as the Hosting Department, Advanced Practice Services follows the process outlined in section #1 above.
Initiating new Affiliation Agreements - Students
Students applying from a university that does not have an Affiliation Agreement must:
- Send an email to email@example.com requesting the initiation of an affiliation agreement.
- The Director of Advanced Practice Services must give approval to submit a requisition for a Master Affiliation Agreement
- Once approval is granted, the student will be notified and will be required to submit, the university representative’s contact information:
- Name, email address & phone number
- University address, city, state & zip code
- Tax ID number
- W9 form
- Complete the supplier portal registration form. Upon completion, a requisition number will be generated, please send this number via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The contact and tax information should be sent to email@example.com Please note if approval is granted the process may take upwards of 3-months.
Student placement after finalized agreement
Once an agreement is finalized and the student needs a preceptor, he or she can visit the Graduate Student website to identify the specialty area for completing the rotation. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an application, return to the same email address. The application will then be sent to the areas of interest – if there is an opening the student will be notified.
Students with a preceptor after finalized agreement
If the student received approval from a preceptor for the requested clinical hours, the student can complete the online application.
Therefore, students seeking a preceptor at UTSW / DPMSC, or AFC should send an email to email@example.com. Guidelines for UTSW or an application for DPMSC or AFC will be sent for student to complete and return.
The manager and/or team leader will determine if the student’s request can be honored.