Visiting Residency Elective
Thank you for your interest in a resident pediatrics elective experience at UT Southwestern and Children’s Medical Center Dallas. Below is an overview of the types of resident electives we currently offer and the process to be followed by individual residents to aid in your decision.
Pediatrics Resident Elective Course Offerings
Course Listings (Note: Inpatient rotations are highly competitive and tend to fill enrollment caps quickly. Therefore, choosing alternative courses is highly suggested.) Several electives require you to contact a separate department; these are noted next to the course below.
- Allergy and Immunology
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Complex Care
- Cardiovascular ICU: if you have not yet done a PICU rotation here before, your first week will be with our PICU resident team; the remainder of your week(s) will be in the CVICU.
- Dermatology (Contact Dept. of Dermatology)
- Genetics and Metabolism
- Hematology and Oncology
- Infectious Diseases
- Low Birth Weight (Thrive) Clinic
- Neurology (Contact Dept. of Neurology)
- Palliative Care
- Pathology (Contact Dept. of Pathology)
- Psychiatry (Contact Dept. of Psychiatry)
- Referral and Evaluation of At-Risk-Children (REACH)
- Sports Medicine (Contact Dept. of Orthopedics)
- Toxicology (Contact Dept. of Emergency Medicine)
Further detailed descriptions and course requirements on elective courses can be found here.
Note: Not all electives are offered in every block. Emergency Medicine and Adolescent/Young Adult Clinic are courses not normally offered as visiting electives. If you choose to take one of these courses you will need to directly contact the faculty course director with your request to enroll in that course.
Things to Consider….
- All elective rotations are based on Children’s Medical Center Elective Block schedule
- Allow enough time for processing of application which is approximately 90 – 120 business days.
- Does your home institution already have a standing TriParty Agreement with Children’s Medical Center and UT Southwestern?
There are several phases involved when requesting a resident elective at Children’s Medical Center. Complete the Graduate Medical Education steps detailed on this webpage. Below is the general overview of the process to follow when seeking a resident elective rotation:
Resident will place initial request with our Residency Program Office to evaluate the feasibility of receiving an elective. The resident should inquire via telephone or email specifying dates and desired elective he/she chooses. If there is an available slot the resident will be notified and additional required application processes will begin.
The resident will receive an email from the Residency Program Office detailing required initial application documents to submit for review by our Vice Chair of Education. Upon review, the resident will be notified if the elective rotation is approved or denied.
The resident and home institution will receive confirmation of elective approval. Further contracting and credentialing details will be sent via email. All requirements are needed and no waivers/exceptions are granted. This phase in the process is extremely time sensitive and constant open communication between all parties involved must be maintained to complete the process with ease.
The contact personnel below will be your point of contact during your elective rotation request from initial to final phases. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the listed personnel below. We look forward to working with you.
- Pediatric Residency Program