Easy-peasy pita pizza
Need a quick lunch or afternoon snack? This healthy pizza recipe from a Children’s Health℠ registered dietitian is just what you need.
When hunger strikes in the middle of the day, why not try something simple yet yummy. Melissa Fossier, R.D.,L.D., a registered dietitian at Children’s Health℠, makes a pita pizza in less than 15 minutes.
Using three different food groups, this recipe is healthy and sure to satisfy your kids' hunger.
- Whole wheat pita bread
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup turkey rounds
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Pinch of Italian seasoning, to taste
Mix and match fillings:
Choose whichever vegetables or cheese you prefer. Some examples are below:
- ½ cup spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced fine
- ¼ cup broccoli, cut into small florets
- ¼ cup mushrooms
- ¼ cup zucchini
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Place pita bread on baking tray.
- Spoon tomato sauce over pita bread.
- Put chopped veggies, meat and cheese on top of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning the pizza.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Enjoy with the whole family.
Storage and Expiration
You can store the pizza in a glass container in the refrigerator. These will stay good for up to four days.
Want more healthy recipes? Download our 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers Your Kids Will Love.