For many families, macaroni and cheese is a kid favorite. Making a healthier version of mac 'n cheese is an easy way to serve this crowd pleaser without all the fat and calories. Enjoy this recipe for a more nutritious way to satisfy your kids' hunger – and see more healthy food swaps here.
Healthy mac ‘n cheese
- 8 oz. of uncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 1 ½ cups of nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 cup sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine chopped onion and oil and sauté in a medium saucepan for about 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for additional minute. Add in milk and stir constantly until mixture becomes thick, cooking for about 2 minutes. Bring to low heat and stir in cheddar cheese, goat cheese crumbles and parmesan cheese until melted.
- Cook macaroni pasta according to instructions and drain over the sink.
- In a large glass baking dish, combine cheese mixture with cooked macaroni. Combine ¼ cup parmesan with breadcrumbs and sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the oven.
Want more healthy recipes? Download our 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers Your Kids Will Love.
Children’s Health Family Newsletter
Get health tips and parenting advice from Children’s Health experts sent straight to your inbox twice a month. Sign up now.