For many families, macaroni and cheese is a kid favorite. Making a healthier version of mac 'n cheese is an easy way to serve this crowd pleaser without all the fat and calories. Enjoy this recipe for a more nutritious way to satisfy your kids' hunger – and see more healthy food swaps here.
Healthy mac ‘n cheese
- 8 oz. of uncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 1 ½ cups of nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 cup sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine chopped onion and oil and sauté in a medium saucepan for about 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for additional minute. Add in milk and stir constantly until mixture becomes thick, cooking for about 2 minutes. Bring to low heat and stir in cheddar cheese, goat cheese crumbles and parmesan cheese until melted.
- Cook macaroni pasta according to instructions and drain over the sink.
- In a large glass baking dish, combine cheese mixture with cooked macaroni. Combine ¼ cup parmesan with breadcrumbs and sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the oven.
Want more healthy recipes? Download our 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers Your Kids Will Love.