Weight Management Program
Thank you for your interest in an internship in the Weight Management Program at Children’s Health. The Weight Management Program runs a number of classes in the Dallas area to encourage families to adopt healthy lifestyle changes. Programs include:
- Get Up & Go Weight Management: A 10-week nutrition and physical activity based class for children ages 6 – 11 and 12 – 14 at Dallas-area YCMAs.
- Get Up & Go Cooking Classes: A 4- week cooking class series for ages 9 - 14 that teaches families how to cook healthy and delicious dishes that can easily be recreated at home.
- Get Up & Go Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Program: A 5-week educational program designed to bring families with children ages –6 - 14 together in a comfortable and fun environment to talk about Type 2 Diabetes and how to prevent it.
- Get Up & Go Planting Healthy Habits: A 2-week class for ages 7-10 that teaches families about what plants and humans need to grow and be healthy!
This internship opportunity would be ideal for nutrition, public health, and health education students. Internships may range from two weeks to one semester.
Here is a list of activities you can expect to participate in during your rotation:
- Develop educational materials such as lesson plans, participant handouts, or newsletters.
- Observe and teach Get Up & Go classes.
- Learn about childhood obesity through webinars and research papers.
- Use program outcome data to identify trends and answer organizational questions.
- Help with day-to-day management and coordination of ongoing programs such as enrolling patients into classes and preparing for events.
- Attend community and school health fairs
- Learn from each team member about their specific role and responsibilities.
Please note that classes and events are held throughout the Dallas area outside of business hours, so a flexible schedule is important.
For more information please contact the Weight Management Program at GetUpandGo@childrens.com at least three months before your desired start date.