Population Health - Clinical Nutrition Student Affiliation
Thank you for your interest in an internship in Population Health Weight Management at Children’s Health. The Weight Management Department runs a number of programs in the Dallas area to encourage families to live healthier lifestyles. These programs include:
- Get Up & Go Weight Management: A 10-week nutrition and physical activity based class for children ages 2 – 5, 6 – 11, 12 – 14 and 15 – 18 at Dallas-area YCMAs.
- Get Up & Go Cooking Classes: A 4- week cooking class series for ages 10 – 14 that teaches families how to cook healthy and delicious dishes that can easily be recreated at home.
- Get Up & Go Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Program: A 5-week educational program designed to bring families with children ages 8 - 12 together in a comfortable and fun environment to talk about Type 2 Diabetes and how to prevent it.
- Get Up & Go Planting Healthy Habits: A 3-week class for ages 7-10 that teaches families about what plants and humans need to grow and be healthy!
This internship opportunity would be ideal for nutrition, public health, and health education students. Internships may range from two weeks to one semester.
Here is a list of activities you can expect to participate in during your rotation:
- Develop educational materials such as lesson plans, participant handouts, or newsletters.
- Teach and observe two Get Up & Go Weight Management Classes.
- Learn about childhood obesity through webinars and research papers.
- Compile and calculate program data.
- Call Get Up & Go graduates to gather 3, 9, and 12 month follow up behavior change data.
- Help with day-to-day management and coordination of ongoing programs such as calling to enroll patients or gathering materials for class.
- Learn from each team member about their specific role and responsibilities.
Please note that classes are held all over the Dallas area, and travel to these locations will be required. Often, classes are held outside of business hours and sometimes on Saturdays, so please be flexible with your schedule.
For more information please contact Anna Lorenzi at Anna.Lorenzi@childrens.com at least two months before your desired start date. We can accept interns from schools not listed below, please email for more information.
Schools Currently Affiliated with Children’s Health
- Abilene Christian University
- UT Southwestern
- UT Austin