Clinical Education – Undergraduate Nursing, MSN Education, & Nursing Support Services
Undergraduate Nursing Students (Instructor Led Clinical & Precepted Nursing Students)
Clinical Education is the hosting department for undergraduate Instructor Led Nursing Student Groups and Precepted Senior Level Nursing Students. Clinical Education is also the hosting department for graduate students who are working on their MSN in Education.
- Clinical Education facilitates lifelong learning and professional development among clinical staff with an emphasis on the nursing division, including academic partnerships.
- Approximately 1000 students complete rotations each year at Children’s.
- At this time we are not adding any additional affiliations unless it is for a current employee.
All nursing student cohort and precepted requests are processed thru Centralized Clinical Placement System (CCPS). It is a requirement that school use this software to process all requests for placement.
Steps for Requesting Placements
1. All schools wishing to send nursing students to Children’s Health for clinical hours must have an Affiliation Master Agreement with Children’s Health. If your school does not have a Master Affiliation agreement, you may send an inquiry to NursingStudentRequest@childrens.com.
2. All nursing student cohort and precepted requests are processed thru Centralized Clinical Placement System (CCPS). It is a requirement that school use this software to process all requests for placement.
3. To connect the school with Children’s Health thru CCPS, the school enters an Affiliation request and Children’s Health approves the request.
4. CCPS opens a time block for requests that follows a Fall, Spring, Summer timeframe. On the login page, CCPS has the schedule for when these time blocks will be open.
5. The school coordinator makes a placement request prior to each semester.
6. The Children’s Health coordinator will manage all responses to requests and assignments to the units in CCPS
- Historical placements are honored for each semester
- Any requests that cannot be accommodated will be offered alternatives
- Timeframe the students will be on the unit must be accurate
- Clinical Instructor name must be included. If at the time the request is made, the Clinical Instructor is not known, TBD can be enter. As soon as the Clinical Instructor is known, CCPS should be updated.
- Orientation (SMARTbar) date requests and an approximation of the total number of students attending orientation should be placed into the comments section of the request.
7. The schools will forward the student and instructor paperwork to Student Services via the NursingStudentPaperwork@childrens.com email address
8. Student Services will notify groups once they are clear and can schedule badge appointments
- All students and instructors must be clear before group will be cleared
Resources for School Coordinators and Clinical Instructors
For School Coordinators
- A request for a new clinical instructor can be sent to NursingStudentRequest@childrens.com. The resume/CV should be submitted to Children’s Health coordinator for approval. If approved, the school coordinator submits a New Instructor Request form
- Any instructor not facilitating at Children's Health for more than 1 year will be considered a new instructor
- All paperwork must be sent electronically to NursingStudentPaperwork@childrens.com. The paperwork includes health form, confidentiality agreements, waiver/release of medical liability, and attestation letters. Below is the format for an electronic spreadsheet for Nursing Student information
For Clinical Instructors
Resources for Senior-level Precepted Students
If you are a senior-level BSN student interested in completing your precepted shifts at Children's Health, and your school is listed below, then your request process begins with your Clinical Instructor. If your school is not listed below, you may request a placement by completing a request and emailing it to NursingStudentRequest@childrens.com with a brief description of the type of unit, the number of hours, the time frame and your goals for the precepted shifts.
- Texas A&M Commerce
- Texas A&M Corpus Christi
- West Coast University
MSN with specialization in Education students
If you are enrolled in an MSN program with a specialization in Education, you may request to do your practicum at Children's Health by working with an MSN prepared RN that works in the activities of education. The request begins by completing the form and email it to NursingStudentRequest@childrens.com with a brief description of your goals for this practicum.
Resources for Student Orientation