Amit Mehta, MD $$
Hospital Medicine Specialist
Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Amit Mehta, M.D., is a hospitalist at Children’s Health℠. As a physician, Dr. Mehta is engaged in clinical care, teaching, research and leadership.
In addition to his clinical and teaching responsibilities, he serves as the lead for the Clinical Operations Workgroup at Children’s Health, which oversees patient progression through the inpatient setting in Dallas.
He also provides backup coverage for the Medical Director of Inpatient Services and Patient Access. He is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Mehta graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and completed his residency in pediatrics at LeBonheur Children’s and St. Jude’s Hospitals at University of Tennessee in Memphis.
His interests include inpatient pediatric care, medical education, and quality/systems improvement. He serves as teaching faculty on inpatient pediatric services for medical students, pediatric residents, and family medicine residents.
“I enjoy the physiology and the challenge of making diagnosis, as well as the act of caring and comforting patients and their families,” he says, “I wanted to become a teacher when I was younger and pediatrics allows me to teach as well.”
Dr. Mehta enjoys spending his free time with his wife and two young sons.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center -OKC (2005)
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2006), Pediatrics
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics
Departments and Programs
- Serial Determination of Glomerular Filtration Rate in Conscious Mice Using FITC-Inulin Clearance., Qi Z, Whitt I, Mehta A, Jin J, Zhao M, Harris RC, Fogo AB, Breyer MD. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2003 286 3 F590-6
- Olig2 is Required for Zebrafish Primary Motor Neuron and Oligodendrocyte Development., Park HC, Mehta A, Richardson JS, Appel B. Dev Biol 2002 248 2 356-68
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatrics - Section on Hospital Medicine
- American Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Association
- Society of Hospitalist Medicine
- Texas Medical Association
Awards and Honors
- University of Tennessee, Department of Pediatrics - Extra Mile Award (2008)
- University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Blanche Huls Scholarship (2004)