Patrick Leavey, M.D., is the associate medical director for clinical affairs for the Pauline Allen Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders and the director of the Musculoskeletal Tumors Program at Children’s Health℠. He is also a professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Leavey graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1986 and joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern in 1998. During his years of training, Dr. Leavey became a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a Diplomate of Child Health from the National University of Ireland. He also received a Doctorate of Medicine degree from the National University of Ireland in 2000.
Dr. Leavey’s experience as a physician has spanned three continents; he has practiced medicine in Ireland, Australia and two states in the U.S. After working all over the world, he believes the collaborative opportunities for physicians are unsurpassed in Dallas, with the most advanced care practices for pediatric cancer happening as a result of UT Southwestern’s collaboration with Children’s Health.
Dr. Leavey specializes in caring for children with sarcoma and bone tumors. His research interests mirror his clinical expertise with work on multiple studies funded by the Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas, including a statewide sarcoma biology study and the development of computational systems in osteosarcoma. Dr. Leavey is also the chair of the international AEWS1031 study for newly diagnosed patients with non-metastatic Ewing sarcoma at the Children’s Oncology Group.
Dr. Leavey has been listed among the best pediatric specialists in Dallas for many years. He is the vice president of the Board of Trustees of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and the secretary-treasurer of the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties.
As a father of four children, Dr. Leavey spent most of his free time with his children when they were younger. Heading into empty-nesting, Dr. Leavey now enjoys exercise, going for walks and reading when he isn’t working to save children’s lives.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons-Ireland (1986)
- Beaumont Hospital (1987), General Surgery
- Children's Hospital of Denver (1998), Pediatrics
St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1989), Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine - Denver (1996), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology-Oncology
Departments and Programs
- Study of children with primary cancers of bone (protocol development in patients with osteogenic sarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma)
- Identification of depression and anxiety in children with cancer
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Education
- Recurrent internal tandem duplications of BCOR in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney. Roy, A., Kumar, V., Zorman, B., Fang, E., Haines, K.M., Doddapaneni, H., Hampton, O.A., White, S., Bavle, A.A., Patel, N.R., Eldin, K.W., Hicks, M.J., Rakheja, D., Leavey, P.J., Skapek, S.X., Amatruda, J.F., Nuchtern, J.G., Chintagumpala, M.M., Wheeler, D.A., Plon, S.E., Sumazin, P. and Parsons, D.W. Nat Commun. 2015 Nov 17;6:8891.
- Blueprint for Action: Visioning Summit on the Future of the Workforce in Pediatrics. Sectish TC, Hay WW, Mahan JD, Mendoza FS, Spector ND, Stanton B, Szilagyi PG, Turner TL, Walker LR, and Slaw K on behalf of the Federation of Pediatric Organizations' Visioning Summit Working Groups* and Planning Committee. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul;136 (1):161-9.
*Dr. Leavey was a member of the Pediatric Training along the Continuum Working Group.
- Hoping is Coping: A Guiding Theoretical Framework for Promoting Coping and Adjustment Following Pediatric Cancer Diagnosis. Germann, J.N., Leonard, D., Stuenzi, T.J., Pop,R.B., Stewart, S.M. Leavey, P.J. Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2015, 40, 846-855.
- Humanism and Professionalism Education for Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Fellows: A Model for Pediatric Subspecialty Training. Kesselheim J.C., Atlas M., Adams D., Aygun B., Barfield R., … and Leavey P. Pediatr Blood and Cancer. 2014
- Bone scintigraphy in osteosarcoma, a single institution experience. Powers JM, Cost C, Cederberg K, Leonard D, Leavey PJ. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2014 Jun 17.
- Chemotherapy for Generalized Infantile Myofibromatosis with visceral involvement. Wu SY, McCavit TL, Cederberg K, Galindo RL and Leavey PJ. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2014 Mar 6.
- Graduate Medical Changes: Yes We Can or Enough Already?, Leavey, P.J.; Jubran, R.F. Pediatr Blood and Cancer 2012 Dec 15;59(7):1168-72.
- IL-8 predicts pediatric oncology patients with febrile neutropenia at low-risk for bacteremia., Cost C, Stegner MM, Leonard D and Leavey P J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2013 Apr;35(3):206-11.
- Comparison of dose intensified versus standard chemotherapy for non-metastatic Ewing Sarcoma Family of Tumors (ESFT): A Children?s Oncology Group Study Report, Granowetter L, Womer R, Devidas M, Krailo M, Wang C, Bernstein M, Neyssa M, Leavey P, Gebhardt M, Healey J, Shamberger RC, Goorin A, Miser J, Meyer J, Arndt C, Sailer S, Marcus KJ, Perlman E, Dickman PS and Grier H. J Clin Oncol 2009 27 15 2536-41
- Prognostic factors for patients with Ewing sarcoma (EWS) at first recurrence following multi-modality therapy: A report from the Children's Oncology Group., Leavey PJ, Mascarenhas L, Marina N, Chen Z, Krailo M, Miser J, Brown K, Tarbell N, Bernstein ML, Granowetter L, Gebhardt M, Grier HE Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008 Sep 51 3 334-8
- Ewing sarcoma: prognostic criteria, outcomes and future treatment., Leavey PJ, Collier AB Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008 Apr 8 4 617-24
- American Association of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2006)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Children’s Oncology Group
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Dallas County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association
Awards and Honors
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialists (2010-2011, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018-2021)
- Faculty Teaching Award - 2008-2009 UT Southwestern and Children’s Medical Center Faculty Teaching Award (2009)
- Medical Achievement Award - Little Mo Award awarded by Wipe out Kids Cancer (2008)
- Member, Society for Pediatric Research - Elected to the Society for Pediatric Research (2006)
- Achievement Award - ’Gift of Giving Back Award’ first such award given by the Clayton Dabney Foundation for Kids with Cancer (2005)
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.