Alton Gifford McWhorter, M.D., D.D.S., is originally from Jackson, Mississippi, and attended dental school at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. After practicing general dentistry for several years, he returned to school to specialize and earned a Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry and a Master’s of Science from Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas. He practiced pediatric dentistry full time for two years before returning to Baylor to join the faculty in 1986.
Dr. McWhorter is currently a professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry and serves as department head. He has also published articles and abstracts in peer-reviewed journals on a variety of topics.
He plays an active role in the college and serves on numerous committees, as well as acts as mentor or committee member for graduate thesis and certificate projects. He has served as executive director of the Texas Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and currently has a similar role with the Paul P. Taylor Association of Pediatric Dentists, the alumni organization of the Baylor pediatric dentistry graduate program.
He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry and practices one half day a week in Rockwall, Texas.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Tennessee College of Dentistry (1979)
- Baylor College of Dentistry (1984), Pediatric Dentistry
- Baylor College of Dentistry (1985), Pediatric Dentistry
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Dentistry (1989)
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- Behavior modification; children with special healthcare needs
- McWhorter AG and Townsend JA. Behavior Symposium Workshop A Report – Current Guidelines/Revisions. Pediatr Dent 36(2):152-53, 2014.
- Hinze ES, Casamassimo PS, Seale NS, McIIroy M, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG. Relative value of oral health in well-child care: a survey of pediatricians in Texas and Ohio. J Dent Child; 2014 81(2): 84-90.
- Hutcheson C, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins C, Wright J, Multi-surface composite vs. Stainless steel crown restorations after mineral trioxide aggregate pulpotomy: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatr Dent 2012:34(7): 460-67.
- Howley B, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Boozer KB, Lindsey D. Pulpotomy Versus Pulpectomy for Carious Vital Primary Incisors: Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatr Dent 34(5) e112-119, 2012.
- McWhorter AG. Treatment Planning for the Pediatric Patient. Texas Dental Journal, December 2010.
- Hisaw T, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Pediatric obesity curriculum in pediatric dental residency programs. Pediatr Dent 31(7):486-491, 2009.
- Savage B, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Seale NS. Preventive Resin Restorations-Practice and billing patterns of pediatric dentists. Pediatr Dent 31(3):210-215, 2009.
- Kerins CA, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Pharmacologic Behavior Management of Pediatric Dental Patients Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Pediatr Dent 29(6): 507-513, 2007.
- Site visitor for the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Examiner for the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, Oral Clinical Exam
Awards and Honors
- Selected for the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Leadership Training through the Kellogg Business School at Northwestern.