What to expect at your hand and peripheral nerve surgery appointment
Hand surgery clinic appointments
The hand surgery appointment is another one of those cases that will require you to meet with several specialists to get the best diagnosis for your child’s conditions. Ease your concerns and worries before coming to the Fogelson Plastic and Surgery Center, by learning more about what you can expect before, during and after your hand surgery team appointment.
Before the appointment
- Prepare to bring any images and/or reports related to your child's diagnosis to the appointment.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes early to your scheduled appointment time to allow time to complete consents, photos and for vital signs to be taken.
- Check in at the registration desk located on the first floor of the Dallas Ambulatory Care Pavilion at Children’s Health℠
- After registering, take the elevators up to the sixth floor and arrive at F6400 - The Fogelson Plastic Surgery & Craniofacial Center.
- Check in at the front desk of the clinic, where you will be given consents to complete.
During the appointment
- Before going to the exam room, your child will be weighed and measured. A medical photographer will also take pictures of your child for the medical records to provide a visual record of your child's condition, each step of the way.
- After that is done, you and your child will meet with the surgeon at this time to discuss his/her assessment and plan of care for surgery if it is needed. Note that surgery will not happen on the same day as this appointment.
- Your child may also need to meet with an Occupational Therapist during your visit, which can be done at the same time.
- If surgery is determined to be the best option, you will meet with a surgery scheduler to discuss insurance, dates and times regarding the procedure.
After the appointment
- Notes from your child's appointment will be sent to your child's primary care provider and/or referring provider.
- If you have any questions after the appointment, you can contact the clinic at 217-456-2240.