Packing a school lunch is a great way to help your child make healthy choices, but it can be easy to get stuck in a rut. This school year, think outside the box and beyond the sandwich.
Here are a few ideas for easy, healthy lunches, midday meals and snacks that will carry kids through the day.
1. Wrap It
(use whole-wheat tortillas)
- Veggie wrap (any vegetables, low-fat cheese and dressing)
- Lettuce, leftover taco meat, cheese
- Grilled chicken, lettuce, low-fat ranch dressing
- Hummus, julienne carrots and cucumber, olives
2. Dip It
- Baked chips and salsa
- Pretzels and honey mustard
- Vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, etc.) and low-fat ranch dressing
- Fruit (apples, strawberries, etc.) and yogurt dip
- Grilled chicken strips and honey mustard
3. Chunk It
- Cubes of low-fat cheese with crackers
- Cubes of lean meats (ham, turkey)
- Cubes of fresh fruit (pineapple, oranges, apples)
4. Mix It
- Trail mix with any combination of cereals, nuts, pretzels, dried fruit and a few chocolate bits
- Air-popped popcorn and parmesan cheese
Want more ideas? See more tips for packing healthy school lunches.
Download a free recipe e-book
Looking for easy meal ideas to keep your family healthy? Download 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers to receive dietitian-recommended recipes your kids will love.
Making one healthy choice at a time can help your family on the journey to wellness. Learn more about our pediatric weight management programs and services.
You are now subscribed to the Children's Health Family Newsletter.