Soumya Adhikari, MD Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Soumya Adhikari, M.D., is a pediatric endocrinologist at Children’s Health℠. He is also an associate professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
He earned his medical degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine and completed his residency and fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Adhikari’s clinical and research interests include beta cell preservation in type-1 diabetes and leveraging the electronic health record to improve outcomes in children with endocrinologic disorders.
D Magazine has continuously awarded Dr. Adhikari recognition as a Best Pediatric Specialist from 2010 to 2016. He is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics, a member of the Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas and a member of the Pediatric Endocrine Society. His published research work covers topics that include pediatrics, childhood obesity and type-1 diabetes.
“The power to make a difference in a child’s life while satisfying my intellectual curiosity is something no other field could offer me,” he says.
Dr. Adhikari spends his leisure time trying to keep up with his kids and often rooting for all his downtrodden sports teams.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Miami Medical School (2001)
InternshipUT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2002), Pediatrics
ResidencyUT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2004), Pediatrics
FellowshipUT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2007), PEMET
Conditions & Treatments
Research & Publications
- Beta Cell Preservation in Type 1 Diabetes
- Preliminary studies related to anti-interleukin-1ß therapy in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes., Sumpter KM, Adhikari S, Grishman EK, White PC Pediatric diabetes 2011 Apr
- Survey of long-term follow-up programs in the United States for survivors of childhood brain tumors., Bowers DC, Adhikari S, El-Khashab YM, Gargan L, Oeffinger KC Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009 Dec 53 7 1295-301
- Institution of basal-bolus therapy at diagnosis for children with type 1 diabetes mellitus., Adhikari S, Adams-Huet B, Wang YC, Marks JF, White PC Pediatrics 2009 Apr 123 4 e673-8
- Childhood obesity: the scope of the problem., Adhikari S Tex Med 2009 Feb 105 2 23-4
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society