Nirupama DeSilva, M.D., an OB/GYN at Children's Health℠ and Professor at UT Southwestern, specializes in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
After working in Oklahoma for 13 years, Dr. DeSilva joined Children’s Health and as part of our comprehensive Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology program. Dr. DeSilva treats girls and young women with ovarian pathologies, menstrual concerns, abnormalities of the reproductive tract and more. She also works with girls and families to start conversations and provide education about reproductive health.
Dr. DeSilva also feels that it’s important to make adolescence easier on girls. Her research focuses on methods to help adolescent girls decrease risk-taking behavior through education and resources. She also works with parents and guardians to guide discussions about values and decision-making. Her work has been funded by organizations including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists the George Kaiser Family Foundation, the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
Dr. DeSilva earned her medical degree from Albany Medical College. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern and her fellowship in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. DeSilva has been recognized nationally for her academic and clinical work including receiving the Outstanding Teacher Award from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology’s Cefalo Leadership Institute Award. She has also served on the editorial board for the Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
In her spare time, Dr. DeSilva gives back to her community by volunteering with her local food bank, participating in her neighborhood association and helping schools develop health education curriculums.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Albany Medical College (1999)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS)
- Bartholin Gland Cyst
- Breast Pathology
- Condyloma (Genital Warts)
- Congenital Anomalies of the Cervix and Uterus
- Congenital Anomalies of the Fallopian Tubes and Ovaries
- Congenital Anomalies of the Vulva and Vagina
- Dysmenorrhea (Severe Menstrual Cramps)
- Fallopian Tube Cysts (Paratubal)
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
- Female Genital Trauma
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Hymen Disorders
- Labial Adhesions
- Labial Hypertrophy
- Lichen Sclerosus (LS)
- Menstrual Issues
- Ovarian Cysts
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Pelvic Masses
- Pelvic Pain
- Pelvic Tumors
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Pre-Pubertal Vaginal Bleeding
- Premature Adrenarche (PA)
- Premature Thelarche
- Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POI)
- Puberty Problems
- Torsion of the Ovary and Fallopian Tube
- Turner Syndrome
- Vaginal Foreign Body
- Vulvar Cysts and Abnormalities
- Yeast Infection
Departments and Programs
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Breast development and disorders in the adolescent female. De Silva NK, Best practice & research. Clinical obstetrics & gynaecology 2018 Apr 48 40-50
- The female adolescent breast: disorders of development. Khaja A, DeSilva N. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Oct;31(5):293-297. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000564.
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) (2006)
- American Medical Association (AMA) (2006)
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) (2006)
- American Association of Physicians from India (AAPI) (2003)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) (2003)
- North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) (2003)
Awards and Honors
- Dr. DeSilva has been recognized with the America’s Top Obstetricians and Gynecologists award from the Consumers Research Council of America since 2009.
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.