Yann-Fuu Kou, MD $$
Pediatric Otolaryngologist (ENT)
Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Yann-Fuu Kou, M.D. is a pediatric otolaryngologist at Children's Health℠. He is an assistant professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in chronic otitis media (ear infections), aerodigestive disorders, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and children with tracheostomies.
Dr. Kou earned his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He completed his residency in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery (ENT) at UT Southwestern then completed a pediatric otolaryngology fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. He is board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology. He is interested in all areas of clinical and research focus are velopharyngeal insufficiency, aerodigestive disorders, and airway stenosis and reconstruction.
Dr. Kou is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, the Triological Society, and the American Broncho-esophageal Association.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2019), Otolaryngology
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2021), Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Otolaryngology
Departments and Programs
- Pediatric Airway Disorders
- Pediatric Tracheostomy outcomes
- Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Kou Y, Kavoosi T, Redman AJ, Manning A, Tabangin M, Myer CM, Hart CK, Rutter MJ, de Alarcon A. Endoscopic Repair of Type 1 Laryngeal Clefts and Deep Interarytenoid Notches: Cold Steel vs Laser. Laryngoscope. 2021, June 29.
- Bedard MC, de Alarcon A, Kou Y, Lee D, Sestito A, Duggins AL, Brusadelli M, Lane A, Wikenheiser-Brokamp KA, Wells SI, Smith DF. HPV Strain predicts severity of Juvenile-Onset Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis with implications for disease screening. Cancers (Basel). 2021 May 23
- Kou Y, Redmann A, Tabangin ME, Wilcox L, Miller CK, Smith M, Myer C, Hart CK, Rutter MJ, de Alarcon A. Airway and Swallowing Outcomes Following Laryngotracheoplasty with Posterior Grafting in Children. Laryngoscope. 2021. May 25
- Salley JR, Kou Y, Shah GB, Johnson RF. Comparing Long-term outcomes in tracheostomy placed in the first year of life. Laryngoscope. 2021 Feb 10
- Smith MM, Kou Y, Schweiger C, Lehenbauer DG, de Alarcon A, Rutter MJ. Congenital absence of tracheal or bronchial rings. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Feb
- Kou YF, de Alarcon A, Cohen AP, Rutter MJ Upper Airway Anomalies in: da Cruz E, Ivy D, Hraska V, Jaggers J (ed) Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
- Kou YF, Lee KH. Congenital Hearing Loss in Mitchell RB & Pereira KD, ed. Case Studies in Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Audiology. 1st ed. Anadem Inc. 2019
- Kou, Y.F. and Rutter, M.J., 2021, June. Laryngeal webs and laryngotracheoesophageal clefts: State of the art. In Seminars in Pediatric Surgery (Vol. 30, No. 3, p. 151056). WB Saunders
- Salley, J.R., Kou, Y.F., Shah, G.B. and Johnson, R.F., 2021. Comparing Long‐Term Outcomes in Tracheostomy Placed in the First Year of Life. The Laryngoscope, 131(9), pp.2115-2120.
- Li, C., Kou, Y.F. and Ishman, S.L., 2021. Pediatric OSA: Evidence-Based Review of Treatment Results. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports, 9(3), pp.246-253.
- Kou, Y.F., Kavoosi, T., Redmann, A., Manning, A., Tabangin, M., Myer IV, C.M., Hart, C.K., Rutter, M.J. and de Alarcon, A., 2021. Endoscopic Repair of Type 1 Laryngeal Clefts and Deep Interarytenoid Notches: Cold Steel Versus Laser. The Laryngoscope, 131(12), pp.2805-2810.
- Kou, Y.F., Redmann, A., Smith, M.M., Hart, C.K., Rutter, M.J. and de Alarcon, A., 2021. Surgical Treatment of Type III Laryngotracheoesophageal Clefts: Techniques and Outcomes. The Laryngoscope.
- Kou, Y.F., Redmann, A., Tabangin, M.E., Wilcox, L., Miller, C.K., Smith, M., Myer IV, C., Hart, C.K., Rutter, M.J. and de Alarcon, A., 2021. Airway and Swallowing Outcomes Following Laryngotracheoplasty With Posterior Grafting in Children. The Laryngoscope, 131(12), pp.2798-2804.
- Kou, Y.F., Rutter, M.J., Sandu, K. and Guilcher, P., 2021. Pediatric Open Airway Reconstruction. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports, 9(1), pp.37-51.
- Garza, N., Chorney, S.R., Kou, Y.F. and Johnson, R.F., 2022. Impact of Language and Ethnicity on Pediatric Tracheostomy Outcomes. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, p.01945998211071020.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- The Triological Society
- The American Broncho-esophageal Association
Awards and Honors
- First Place, Resident Quiz Bowl 2018, Texas Association of Otolaryngology
- Gold Medal, President’s Volunteer Service Award 2012, UT Southwestern Medical Center