$$ Charina Marie Ramirez, MD Associate Professor of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Charina Ramirez, M.D., is a gastroenterologist at Children’s Health℠ and an associate professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After receiving her medical degree from the UT Medical Branch at Galveston, Dr. Ramirez completed an internship and residency training in pediatrics at Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Ramirez completed her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at UT Southwestern and Children’s Medical Center. She also served as a research fellow studying lipid metabolism during this time.
Dr. Ramirez’s research interest involves cholesterol transport in the murine models of Nieman-Pick Type C disease and Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency. Currently, she’s evaluating the effects of a low carbohydrate diet in pediatric patients with metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2003)
InternshipChildren's Medical Center Dallas (2004), Pediatrics
ResidencyChildren's Medical Center Dallas (2006), Pediatrics
FellowshipUT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2010), Pediatric Gastroenterology
Conditions & Treatments
Research & Publications
- Lysosomal Acis Lipase Deficiency
- Metabolic Liver Disease
- Niemann-Pick type C Disease
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Gastroenterological Association
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas
- Texas Medical Association
- The Obesity Society
Awards & Honors
- Ara Parseghian Medical Research Foundation Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship Grant (2009)
- Summa Cum Laude, University of Houston (1999)