Steve Megison, M.D., is a pediatric general and thoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠. He is medical director of Trauma at Children's Health, a Level 1 trauma center, and professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern. His special interests are trauma, hepatobiliary-pancreatic surgery, oncology, neonatal surgery, thoracic surgery and minimally invasive robotic surgery.
Dr. Megison earned his medical degree from Louisiana State University Health Shreveport. He completed his general surgery residency at Parkland Hospital and specialty training in pediatric surgery at Oklahoma Children’s Hospital. He joined Children’s Health in 1993.
He has been frequently recognized in D Magazine’s list of “Best Doctors” and listed among the best physicians by Texas Monthly and US News and World Report.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (1985)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1986), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1991), General Surgery
- University of OK Health Sciences Center (1993), Pediatric Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1989), General Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
Departments and Programs
- Management of Parapneumonic Collections in Infants and Children, Doski, JJ, Derek, L, Hicks, BA, Megison, SM, Sanchez, P, Contador, M, Guzzetta, PC Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2000 35 (2) 265-270
- Ileosigmoid Knotting in a Six Year Old Child, Meier, DE, Megison, SM Pediatric Surgery International 1999 15 407-408
- Congenital and Neonatal Bowel Disorders, Megison, SM, Votteler, TP Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care 1997 Levine DL, Morriss, FC, e 796-802
- Diffuse Fibrosis of the Colon Complicating Cystic Fibrosis, Prestridge, L, Rogers, BB, Pritchard, M, Hermann, D, Megison, SM, Brown, ME, Prestige, C Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 1996 22 219-224
- "Spontaneous" Mediastinal Pancreatic Pseudocyst Fistulizaiton to the Esophagus, Landreneau, RJ, Johnson, JA, Keenan, RJ, Thompson, WB, Megison, SM, Ferson, PF Annuals of Thoracic Surgery 1994 57 208-210
Awards and Honors
- Lloyd & Ruth Rader Trust Scholarship - Outstanding Post-Doctoral Fellow: Children's Hospital of Oklahoma (1993)
- Parkland Surgical Society Best Paper Award - "Low Dose Enteral Allopurinol Prophylaxis in Mesenteric Ischemia" (1991)
- Resident Teaching Award (1991)
- Parkland Surgical Society Best Paper Award - "The Effects of Relief of Biliary Obstruction on Mononuclear Phagocyte System Function/Cell Medicated Immunity" (1989)
- Doctor-Patient Relationship Award - Shreveport Medical Society (1985)