Adam Alder, M.D., is a general and thoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠. He is an associate professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern, the director of the Center for Pectus and Chest Wall Anomalies and the service chief of Pediatric Surgery for Children's Health Plano. Dr. Alder has special interests in chest wall deformities, pediatric surgical oncology, pediatric thoracic surgical care, neonatal and congenital surgical care, endocrine surgical care and minimal access and robotic surgical care.
Dr. Alder graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine in 2002. He trained in general surgery at UT Southwestern and Parkland Memorial Hospital and completed a fellowship in pediatric surgery at Children's Medical Center of Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Alder is active in clinical research and has completed the Clinical and Translational Science Awards Scholars Program, which is funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Alder represents Children’s Health to the ATOMAC, a group of Level 1 pediatric trauma centers that conducts clinical studies on pediatric trauma care.
Dr. Alder in an outdoor enthusiast and enjoys fly fishing, camping and cycling. He is also an active volunteer in the Boy Scouts of America.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2002)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2009), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2012), Pediatric Surgery
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
Departments and Programs
- Center for Advanced Research in Surgery
- Clinical Trials and Patient Oriented Research
- National Surgical Quality Improvement Program - Ped
- Pediatric Endocrine and Thyroid Conditions
- Pediatric Solid Tumors
- Robotic Surgery
- Multi-institutional experience with penetrating pancreatic injuries in children., Alemayehu H, Tsao K, Wulkan ML, Islam S, Russell RT, Ponsky TA, Cullinane DC, Alder A, St Peter SD, Iqbal CW Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2014 Nov 30 11 1107-10
- Blunt cerebrovascular injury in children: Underreported or under recognized?: A multicenter ATOMAC study., Azarakhsh N, Grimes S, Notrica DM, Raines A, Garcia NM, Tuggle DW, Maxson RT, Alder AC, Recicar J, Garcia-Filion P, Greenwell C, Lawson KA, Wan JY, Eubanks JW J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013 Dec 75 6 1006-12
- Improving perioperative performance: the use of operations management and the electronic health record., Foglia RP, Alder AC, Ruiz G J. Pediatr. Surg. 2013 Jan 48 1 95-8
- A comparison of traditional incision and drainage versus catheter drainage of soft tissue abscesses in children., Alder AC, Thornton J, McHard K, Buckins L, Barber R, Skinner MA J. Pediatr. Surg. 2011 Oct 46 10 1942-7
- Colonoscopy: an unusual complication., Alder AC, Scott DL, Browning JD Gastroenterology 2010 Feb 138 2 434, 794
- American Academy of Pediatrics - Surgical Section (2014)
- Association of Academic Surgery (2013)
- American Pediatric Surgery Society (2012)
- International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (2012)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (2012)
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- American College of Surgeons (2009)
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.