What to Expect at Your Thrive Appointment
Helping babies thrive and decrease their risk of complications
Thrive offers one-on-one care and support for you and your baby, from insurance to practical needs. There is a lot to think about and we are here to help.
We provide our patients and their families with comprehensive care including:
- Optimizing growth and nutrition
- Following neurological development and arranging therapies and services as needed
- Assisting in identifying your child’s developmental strengths, needs and making recommendations for targeted activities or referrals
- Assessing/counseling in regards to emotional/behavioral concerns
- Supporting social/family well-being
- Assisting your infant’s recovery from conditions experienced in the NICU
- Managing other chronic and acute illnesses
- Coordinating care with subspecialties and community agencies
- Routine well-child care to keep your child healthy, including immunizations
Part of what makes our program unique is that you work with the same dedicated nurse practitioner or physician assistant, who sees your child for well and sick visits, manages the child’s medical care in conjunction with the rest of the medical team and under the supervision of the Thrive medical director. This same practitioner is on call 24/7 to help you with your child’s urgent after-hours medical needs as well.
Your child’s care team may include experts from UT Southwestern and Children’s Health.
- Pediatrician experienced in comprehensive NICU follow-up care
- Pediatric nurse practitioners and physician assistant primary care providers
- Child psychologist
- Child development specialists
- Pediatric registered dietitian
- Social work
- Child life specialist
- Speech therapist
After each of your child’s visits, you will receive feedback about your child’s medical, nutritional and developmental status, along with suggestions for what you can do to help your child if any referrals to subspecialties or therapists might be needed.
The program staff will help you schedule any additional clinic visits based on your child’s specific needs.