Music Therapy Internship
The music therapy program at Children’s Health℠ is committed to providing quality education and training to prepare you for a career as a music therapy professional. Children’s Health offers a 6-month (1,040 hour), full-time, unpaid internship designed for students who wish to obtain board certification and pursue a career in music therapy. This highly competitive internship program has been an American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) National Roster Internship Site since 2004, and seeks committed students who are currently enrolled in music therapy university programs approved by AMTA.
After a completed application has been submitted and evaluated by music therapy staff, students may be contacted to participate in a Skype interview with the music therapy team. Interns are selected based on GPA, letters of recommendation, prior experience, personal interviews and musical skills. Preference will be given to graduate level students or those who have had experience in a hospital environment, either as a practicum student or volunteer.
If accepted as an intern at Children’s Health, the student’s university will be required to engage in a contractual relationship with Children's Health. Students will also need to complete orientation requirements, including a drug screen and background check. Additional pertinent information will be provided upon acceptance.
During the internship, students will gain experience in all areas of the hospital, and will be working with individual patients and their families, as well as in group settings. Students may also have the opportunity to work with the psychiatric population and to participate in Camp Sol, a hospital affiliated organization for families who have experienced the death of a child.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for an internship, prepare the following items and send them to Lisa Jones, MA, MT-BC, Internship Director, Child Life Department,
Children's Medical Center Dallas, 1935 Medical District Drive, Dallas, TX 75235-7794, 214-456-8119(office), 214-456-6215 (fax), Lisa.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Internship Application
- Complete official academic transcript from all universities you have attended
- Three letters of recommendation (from non-relatives) addressing your clinical, communication and musical skills
- A signed and dated statement of your eligibility for the internship from your academic supervisor
- Your current resume
- A DVD, link or computer file of a mock music therapy session (with friends, family, etc.), plus a demonstration of musical skills on piano, guitar and voice.
- An essay of no more than 500 words that answers the following questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming a music therapist?
- What is your philosophy of music therapy?
- What are your goals and expectations for this clinical internship?
- What strengths will you bring to this internship?
- What skills do you wish to enhance through this internship experience?
For internship starting Application Deadline Interviews During Applicant Notified By Applicant Acceptance By January June 5 Jul/Aug August 15th 24 hours after offer June Nov 5 Dec/Jan January 15th 24 hours after offer