$$ Thomas M Zellers, MD VP of Medical Staff Affairs at Children's Health Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Thomas M. Zellers, M.D., is a pediatric interventional cardiologist at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in caring for newborns, children and adults with congenital heart disease. He is also a professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After earning his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School, he completed a residency in pediatrics at the University of Virginia hospitals in Charlottesville, Virginia, a fellowship in pediatric cardiology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and an interventional cardiology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.
“Patients with congenital heart disease just make sense to me,” says Dr. Zellers. “The presentation of symptoms, the physical findings, the physiology, the imaging evaluations, the variety of therapies and the instant gratification of the therapies combined make it a great specialty. Plus, we are working with kids and their families and I get to see them grow up and become wonderful members of society.”
Dr. Zellers is board certified in both pediatric cardiology and in adults with congenital heart disease. He is designated the Pogue Family Foundation Master Clinician in Pediatric Cardiology. His clinical interests include interventional cardiology in newborns to adults, adult congenital heart disease and transition from pediatric to adult care, high risk neonates with single ventricle cardiac anomalies and the Safe at Home program.
Dr. Zellers participates in multicenter research trials to explore new devices for treating congenital heart disease. He also studies the role of the heart care team in interventions and how to improve the quality of care for patients in the Safe at Home, cardiac neurodevelopment program, and adults with congenital heart disease program.
Dr. Zellers also serves as Senior Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer for Children’s Health Plano and the Executive Medical Director for Medical Affairs at Children’s Health. In his free time, he spends time with his wife and family, including playing golf with his father. He also cycles and is learning to paint and cook.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1983)
ResidencyUniversity of Virginia Health System (1986), Pediatrics
FellowshipBaylor College of Medicine - Interv. Cardio Fellow (1997), Interventional Cardiology
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine (1989), Pediatric Cardiology
Research & Publications
- Innovative transcatheter therapy to prevent structural heart disease in the fetus and newborn
- Transcatheter delivered devices in the treatment of structural heart disease
- Bedside balloon atrial septostomy is a safe, efficacious and cost effective therapy compared to septostomy performed in the cardiac catheterization laboratory,Zellers TM, Dixon K, Moake L, Wright J, Ramaciotti C American Journal of Cardiology 2002 89(5) 613-615
- Comprehensive assessment of PDA by echocardiography prior to transcatheter closure of a small patent ductus arteriosus., Ramaciotti C, Lemler MS, Moake L, Zellers TM Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2002 15 1154-9
- Prostacyclin-induced relaxation of small porcine pulmonary arteries is enhanced by basal release of endothelium-derived relaxing factor through an effect on cyclic GMP-inhibited-cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase, Zellers TM, Wu Y, McCormick J, Vanhoutte PM Acta Pharmacologica Sinica 2000 21(2) 131-138
- Coarctation index: Identification of recurrent coarctation in infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome after the Norwood procedure, Lemler MS, Zellers TM, Harris KA, Ramaciotti C American Journal of Cardiology 2000 86 697-699
- Transcatheter coil occlusion of small patent ductus arteriosus (<4mm): improved results with a "multiple coil-no residual shunt" strategy, Zellers TM, Wylie KD, Moake L Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2000 49(3) 307-313
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Heart Association Councils for Basic Science and CVDY
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Intervention
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award - Awarded by Children’s Medical Center of Dallas (1991)
- Second Place, Young Investigator Award - Awarded by American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Cardiology, San Francisco, CA (1989)
- Finalist, Young Investigator Award - Awarded by American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Cardiology, Chicago, IL (1988)
- Best Paper by a Resident or Fellow - Awarded by Annual Meeting of Northwestern Pediatric Society, Bloomington, MN (1987)
- Eli Lilly Scholar - Awarded by Wabash College (1977)