Thomas M. Zellers, M.D., is a pediatric interventional cardiologist at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in caring for newborns, children and adults with congenital heart disease. He is also a professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After earning his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School, he completed a residency in pediatrics at the University of Virginia hospitals in Charlottesville, Virginia, a fellowship in pediatric cardiology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and an interventional cardiology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.
“Patients with congenital heart disease just make sense to me,” says Dr. Zellers. “The presentation of symptoms, the physical findings, the physiology, the imaging evaluations, the variety of therapies and the instant gratification of the therapies combined make it a great specialty. Plus, we are working with kids and their families and I get to see them grow up and become wonderful members of society.”
Dr. Zellers is board certified in both pediatric cardiology and in adults with congenital heart disease. He is designated the Pogue Family Foundation Master Clinician in Pediatric Cardiology. His clinical interests include interventional cardiology in newborns to adults, adult congenital heart disease and transition from pediatric to adult care, high risk neonates with single ventricle cardiac anomalies and the Safe at Home program.
Dr. Zellers participates in multicenter research trials to explore new devices for treating congenital heart disease. He also studies the role of the heart care team in interventions and how to improve the quality of care for patients in the Safe at Home, cardiac neurodevelopment program, and adults with congenital heart disease program.
Dr. Zellers also serves as Senior Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer for Children’s Health Plano and the Executive Medical Director for Medical Affairs at Children’s Health. In his free time, he spends time with his wife and family, including playing golf with his father. He also cycles and is learning to paint and cook.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1983)
- University of Virginia Health System (1986), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine - Interv. Cardio Fellow (1997), Pediatric Interventional Cardiology
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine (1989), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
Departments and Programs
- Transcatheter Delivered Devices for Congenital and Structural Heart Disease
- Innovative Use of Current Devices to Treat Congenital Heart Disease in Non-Traditional Ways
- Adults with Congenital Heart Disease: Transition and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes
- Physician Leadership, Leadership Training, and Physician Involvement in Quality Improvement
- Bedside balloon atrial septostomy is a safe, efficacious and cost effective therapy compared to septostomy performed in the cardiac catheterization laboratory,Zellers TM, Dixon K, Moake L, Wright J, Ramaciotti C American Journal of Cardiology 2002 89(5) 613-615
- Comprehensive assessment of PDA by echocardiography prior to transcatheter closure of a small patent ductus arteriosus., Ramaciotti C, Lemler MS, Moake L, Zellers TM Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2002 15 1154-9
- Prostacyclin-induced relaxation of small porcine pulmonary arteries is enhanced by basal release of endothelium-derived relaxing factor through an effect on cyclic GMP-inhibited-cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase, Zellers TM, Wu Y, McCormick J, Vanhoutte PM Acta Pharmacologica Sinica 2000 21(2) 131-138
- Coarctation index: Identification of recurrent coarctation in infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome after the Norwood procedure, Lemler MS, Zellers TM, Harris KA, Ramaciotti C American Journal of Cardiology 2000 86 697-699
- Transcatheter coil occlusion of small patent ductus arteriosus (<4mm): improved results with a "multiple coil-no residual shunt" strategy, Zellers TM, Wylie KD, Moake L Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2000 49(3) 307-313
- American Association for Physician Leadership
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- Congenital Cardiovascular Intervention Study Consortium
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas
- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Texas Medical Society
Awards and Honors
- Pogue Family Foundation Master Clinician in Pediatric Cardiology 2015-2020, Children’s Health
- D Magazine Best Pediatric Specialist 2003-2020
- Texas Super Doctors 2005-2020, Texas Monthly Magazine
- Kathryne and Gene Bishop Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Care 2004-2015, UT Southwestern
- Texas Hospital Association Leadership Fellow 2014-2015, Texas Hospital Association
- Patient's Choice Award 2002, Mended Hearts Parents Group
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award 1991, Awarded by Children’s Medical Center of Dallas
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.