Ryan Davies, M.D., is a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in neonatal heart surgery, caring for congenital heart conditions and treating heart failure.
Dr. Davies earned his medical degree from Yale University School of Medicine. He then completed his surgical internship, general surgery residency and cardiothoracic surgery residency at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. He also completed additional fellowship training in pediatric cardiac surgery at Stanford University Medical Center/Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.
“Few things in medicine are as rewarding as helping children with complex and life-threatening problems go on to live full, long and healthy lives,” says Dr. Davies. “No two children are exactly the same, and I enjoy being able to give each patient and family personalized attention.”
Dr. Davies recently joined Children’s Health as Surgical Director of Pediatric Heart Transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support. He leads American Heart Association-funded research to examine how genetic conditions can affect patient outcomes after pediatric heart surgery. He also performs advanced research in mechanical circulatory assistance for heart failure, improving outcomes before and after heart transplants and neurological development after neonatal heart surgery.
In his free time, Dr. Davies enjoys spending time with his 4-year-old twins, being outdoors and going hiking. He also completes medical missions in Peru and the Philippines.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (2001)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (2002), General Surgery
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (2009), Cardiothoracic Surgery
New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (2007), General Surgery
New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (2004), General Surgery
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University (2008), Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Board Certification
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Coarctation of the Aorta
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Failure
- Heterotaxy Syndrome
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA)
- Pulmonary Atresia
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return
- Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA)
- Truncus Arteriosus
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)