Matthew Hammer, M.D., is a radiologist at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in musculoskeletal imaging. He is also an assistant professor of radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
After earning his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, he completed his internship at Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center in Dearborn, Michigan. He completed residency training in diagnostic radiology at the University of Michigan Health System and fellowship training in pediatric radiology at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Hammer spent a year as a musculoskeletal imaging fellow and part-time faculty member in pediatric radiology at the University of Michigan.
Along with numerous published papers, Dr. Hammer co-authored a chapter on congenital and developmental conditions in the foot and ankle for Pediatric Orthopedic Imaging, the standard reference book for pediatric and musculoskeletal radiologists.
In addition to his expertise in musculoskeletal imaging, Dr. Hammer’s clinical interests include pediatric magnetic resonance (MR) enterography, MR urography and perineal imaging in Crohn disease.
Dr. Hammer is the current Pediatric Radiology fellowship program director.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2007)
- Oakwood Hospital Corporation (2008), Transitional Year
- University of Michigan and Health Centers (2012), Radiology, General
- University of Michigan Hospitals (2014), Musculoskeletal Radiology
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital (2013), Pediatric Radiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Radiology/Pediatric Radiology
Departments and Programs
- Pediatric MR Enterography
- Pediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Magnetic resonance imaging of perianal and perineal crohn disease in children and adolescents., Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Smith EA, Al-Hawary MM Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2013 Nov 21 4 813-28
- Multidetector computed tomographic and magnetic resonance enterography in children: state of the art., Hammer MR, Podberesky DJ, Dillman JR Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2013 Jul 51 4 615-36
- Imaging evaluation of pediatric trachea and bronchi: systematic review and updates., Lee EY, Restrepo R, Dillman JR, Ridge CA, Hammer MR, Boiselle PM Semin Roentgenol 2012 Apr 47 2 182-96
- Imaging of pediatric thoracic trauma., Hammer MR, Dillman JR, Chong ST, Strouse PJ Semin Roentgenol 2012 Apr 47 2 135-46
- Detection of pediatric cervical spine injury., Garton HJ, Hammer MR Neurosurgery 2008 Mar 62 3 700-8; discussion 700-8