Joseph T. Murphy, M.D., is a pediatric general and thoracic surgeon at Children’s Health℠. He is a professor of Surgery at UT Southwestern. Dr. Murphy’s special interests include pediatric solid tumors, severe traumatic injuries and critical care issues.
Dr. Murphy completed his general surgery residency training and a laboratory research fellowship at UT Southwestern. Dr. Murphy completed his pediatric surgery fellowship at Children’s Health and UT Southwestern.
Dr. Murphy’s clinical research includes investigation of the outcomes of children with chest wall malignancies; examination of the influence of neutropenia on children appendicitis; the use of arteriogram to assess resectability of thoracic tumors; the outcome of children requiring pre-hospital CPR resulting from traumatic injury; the utility of a Puestow procedure for pancreatic disease in children; and comparison of VATS biopsy vs. BAL in the detection of pulmonary fungal infection among pediatric oncology patients. He is a reviewer for several pediatric surgical journals and has authored multiple articles, abstracts and book chapters examining pediatric oncology issues, childhood trauma outcomes and operative approaches to difficult and unique surgical issues. Dr. Murphy is involved in the surgery residency and medical student education programs at Children’s Health.
Dr. Murphy has been named a Top Doctor by D Magazine multiple years.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1989)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1990), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1994), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2007), Pediatric Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1996), Research
- Board Certification
- American Board of Surgery/Pediatric Surgery
Departments and Programs
- Neonatal Surgery
- Pediatric Surgical Oncology
- Differential Activation of Coronary and Pulmonary Endothelial Cells by Thermal Injury, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Shock 2001 16 227-231
- Thrombin-Mediated Permeability of Human Microvascular Pulmonary Endothelial Cells is Calcium-Dependent, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Hybki DL, Kamm K Journal of Trauma 2001 50 213-222
- Thermal Injury Alters the Endothelial Vasoconstrictor and Vasodilator Response to Endotoxin, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Journal of Trauma 1999 47 492-499
- Routine Drainage of Post-Operative Fluid Collections After Appendectomy for Perforated Appendicitis Does Not Improve Outcome., Piper, P.G., Derinkuyu, B., Koral, K., Perez, E.A., Murphy, J.T. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 2011 46 1126-1130
- Airway Obstruction Due to Endotracheal Tube's Lumen Collapse Secondary to Cuff Overinflation., Pop, R., Murphy, J.T., Szmuk, P Anesthesia & Analgesia 2011 112 1151-1152
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American College of Surgeons: Fellow 1998
- American Pediatric Surgery Association
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society of University Surgeons
Awards and Honors
- Snyder-Laycock Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas - Teaching Award (2003)
- Excellence in Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas - Teaching Award (2002)
- Young Investigator Award Finalist: Shock Society - Eighteenth Annual Conference on Shock (1995)
- Academic Excellence Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas (1994)