$$ Joseph Thomas Murphy, MD Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Joseph Murphy, M.D., is a surgeon at Children’s Health℠ who serves on the Children’s Health Center Medical Advisory Board and Credentials Committee. He is also a professor of surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Murphy earned his medical degree from UT Southwestern and stayed there to complete a general surgery residency and CORE laboratory research fellowship.
As a board-certified general surgeon, Dr. Murphy has extensive clinical experience in management of severe traumatic injury, thermal injury and critically ill patients. He is an ad hoc reviewer for several professional journals and has authored multiple articles, abstracts and book chapters examining the cardiopulmonary, inflammatory and molecular consequences of thermal injury and sepsis.
Dr. Murphy’s current clinical research includes: investigation of outcomes in children requiring pre-hospital CPR resulting from traumatic injury; assessment of morbidity and mortality of iatrogenic and traumatic vascular injury and insufficiency in children; outcome of Puestow procedure for pancreatic disease in children; and examination of laparoscopic vs. open peritoneal dialysis catheter placement in children.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (1989)
InternshipUT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1990), General Surgery
ResidencyUT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1994), General Surgery
FellowshipUT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2007), Pediatric Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (1996), Research
Conditions & Treatments
Research & Publications
- Neonatal Surgery
- Pediatric Surgical Oncology
- Differential Activation of Coronary and Pulmonary Endothelial Cells by Thermal Injury, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Shock 2001 16 227-231
- Thrombin-Mediated Permeability of Human Microvascular Pulmonary Endothelial Cells is Calcium-Dependent, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Hybki DL, Kamm K Journal of Trauma 2001 50 213-222
- Thermal Injury Alters the Endothelial Vasoconstrictor and Vasodilator Response to Endotoxin, Murphy JT, Duffy S, Purdue GF, Hunt JL Journal of Trauma 1999 47 492-499
- Routine Drainage of Post-Operative Fluid Collections After Appendectomy for Perforated Appendicitis Does Not Improve Outcome., Piper, P.G., Derinkuyu, B., Koral, K., Perez, E.A., Murphy, J.T. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 2011 46 1126-1130
- Airway Obstruction Due to Endotracheal Tube's Lumen Collapse Secondary to Cuff Overinflation., Pop, R., Murphy, J.T., Szmuk, P Anesthesia & Analgesia 2011 112 1151-1152
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American College of Surgeons: Fellow 1998
- American Pediatric Surgery Association
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society of University Surgeons
Awards & Honors
- Snyder-Laycock Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas - Teaching Award (2003)
- Excellence in Resident Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas - Teaching Award (2002)
- Young Investigator Award Finalist: Shock Society - Eighteenth Annual Conference on Shock (1995)
- Academic Excellence Award, Department of Surgery, UTSW Medical Center at Dallas (1994)