Conferences and Events
- August 24, 2018 and August 25, 2018
- Children’s Health Specialty Center
2350 Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, TX 75247
This course is designated for pediatric critical care, neonatology and surgery Fellows and Nurse practitioners who provide care for patients receiving ECLS. Course attendees will learn the basic physiology and management of ECLS and how it applies to patient management, anticoagulation, transport of patients on ECMO and ECPR. Application of ECLS to special populations, such as children with congenital diaphragmatic hernias, will also be discussed. Through hands-on learning and simulation, participants will learn to identify candidate for ECLS, prepare the patient for cannulation, troubleshoot the circuit and handle ECLS emergencies. The course will consist of 10 hours of didactics and 8 hours of simulation, as well as other hands-on training. The course will be conducted by faculty from the divisions of Critical Care Medicine, Pediatric Surgery and Hematology, as well as ECMO specialists at Children’s Health System of Texas and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of ECLS and apply this to patient management
- Exhibit the ability to anticipate and treat ECLS complications
- Demonstrate competence in the daily management of the patients on ECLS
Who should attend: This content has been designed to help continuing nurse practitioners and critical care fellows becoming ICU specialists.
Course Director: Renee Potera, M.D. and Lakshmi Raman M.D.
- August 27, 2018 and August 31, 2018
- Children’s Medical Center Dallas - Bright Building
Third Floor in Half Moon
1935 Medical District Dr., Dallas, TX 75235
This course is designed for registered nurses with at least 2 years of clinic experience who desire to pursue certification as a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE). The course will provide the 40 hours of didactic training needed to complete certification as a pediatric sexual assault nurse examiner. The nurse will gain the knowledge and skills needed to successfully complete physical assessments in the community.
The objectives for course include but are not limited to:
- Describe appropriate evidence collection techniques
- Identify various healthcare providers and community partners and their role in caring for children who have been sexually abused
- Identify techniques and strategies to perform successful courtroom testimony
- Discuss the importance of treating the patient’s mental and physical healthcare needs
Continuing Education Hours:
- 40 Continuing Nurse Education contact hours for successful completion.
- All participants must attend all five days to receive certification.
- No partial credit will be awarded.
Accreditation: Children’s Health (Children’s Medical Center) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Texas Nurses Association- Approver, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Pediatric Dysphagia and Airway Conference: An Interdisciplinary approach to pediatric dysphagia and complex airway
- October 12, 2018 - October 13, 2018
- Children’s Health Specialty Center at Cityville Southwestern Medical District
The purpose of this course is to describe the multi-specialty role in the management of pediatric dysphagia and complex airway. Topics will include clinical and instrumental evaluation of dysphagia, pediatric airway disorders and management, pulmonology, gastroenterology, sialorrhea, tracheostomy and other special populations.
Please contact Clinical Specialist, Ashley Brown, for more information.
- October 18, 2018
- Great Wolf Lodge
White Pine Ballrooms 2 and 3
100 Great Wolf Dr. Grapevine, TX Dallas, TX 76051
This conference is a comprehensive knowledge enhancement on advances in pediatric respiratory care for respiratory therapists. Prestigious faculty and staff will present on cutting edge intended to optimize pediatric patient care.
Who should attend:
Application has been made to the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) for 8.0 continuing education contact hours for respiratory therapists
This conference has been designated 8.0 continuing respiratory care education hours
- October 18, 2018 and October 19, 2018
- Great Wolf Lodge Conference Center
100 Great Wolf Dr., Grapevine, TX 76051
The 12th Annual Advanced Practice Conference is aimed at educating health care providers on a variety of topics specific to the pediatric population. The purpose of this conference is to enhance the knowledge of the health care professional working in the area of pediatrics by addressing a wide variety of topics focused on pediatric specialties in an effort to improve the delivery of safe and up-to-date care to this vulnerable population.
Who should attend:
Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, clinical nurse specialists, registered nurses, and allied health professionals within primary care, acute care and specialty roles.
Credit Designation (CME): This program is not yet approved for CME credit. Conference organizers plan to request 12 AAPA Category 1 credits from the Physician Assistant Review Panel. Total number of approved credits yet to be determined.
Credit Designation (CNE): Children’s Health (Children’s Medical Center) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Texas Nurses Association - Approver, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Contact hours will be awarded.
- November 3, 2018
- Children’s Health℠ Specialty Center Dallas Campus
2350 N Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, TX 75207
An overview of the requirements to enter the field, including:
- Academic and clinical preparation.
- The journey from student to professional – what is required and what is not
- Hear about experiences from students who have recently been through the application process.
- Discuss your unique needs during breakout sessions.
Who Should Attend:This workshop is open to high school seniors, college students, and adults considering a possible career change.
Registration Information: Online registration opens on September 14, 2018.
For a list of dates and locations for all 2018 child life workshops, click here.