S. Kamal Naqvi, MD $$
Pediatric Pulmonologist/Sleep Medicine
Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
- English, Hindi,Urdu,Punjabi,
S. Kamal Naqvi, MD is a pediatric pulmonologist and sleep medicine physician, who has been functioning as the medical director of the sleep disorders center at Children’s Health℠ for the last 13 years.
Under his leadership the center has grown from a 2-bed sleep laboratory in 2005 to a comprehensive sleep disorders center with 12 sleep beds in Dallas, 8 beds in Plano and clinics in both locations which are equipped and staffed in handling all types of sleep disorders in children.
Dr. Naqvi earned his medical degree from Dow University of Health Sciences in Karachi, Pakistan. He received pediatric residency training in New York City and later completed fellowship training in pediatric pulmonary and sleep medicine from Tulane University Hospital in New Orleans, Louisiana.
“Children and adolescents reach their best potential when they get optimum sleep, helping them in achieving that, is what I do every day at work and I take it as a mission.”
Children and adolescents reach their best potential when they get optimum sleep, helping them in achieving that, is what I do every day at work and I take it as a mission.
The sleep disorders center has gathered an impressive team of dedicated staff that literally work day and night to help our patients.
Dr. Naqvi is an associate professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern and is the co-director for the sleep medicine fellowship training for pediatric sleep at Children’s Health.
His clinical interest is sleep disordered breathing in children with various chronic conditions, mechanical ventilation during sleep, asthma, and narcolepsy. He has been actively involved with clinical research on pediatric obstructive sleep apnea and pediatric narcolepsy.
Dr. Naqvi has given lectures, grand rounds and clinical conferences in various pediatric sub-specialty divisions and supervises medical students, residents, and fellows. He has written textbook chapters on various pediatric sleep medicine topics.
Dr. Naqvi likes to travel to ancient sites, hiking, classical music and reading. He and his wife enjoy spending time with their three grown children, whenever they can.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Dow Medical College - Karachi, Pakistan (1989)
- Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center (1995), Pediatrics
- Tulane University Hospital School of Medicine GME (2005), Sleep Medicine
Tulane University Hospital School of Medicine GME (2004), Pediatric Pulmonary Diseases
New York Cy Hlth Hspitals Corp (1996), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics(Sleep Medicine)
- Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
- Chronic Cough
- Circadian Rhythm Disorder
- Congenital Lung Disorders
- Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (DSPD)
- Hypersomnia (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness)
- Interstitial Lung Disease (chILD)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD)
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
- Sleep-Disordered Breathing (SDB)
Departments and Programs
- Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea
- Pediatric narcolepsy
- The association between the conduction time of the brainstem auditory evoked response (BAER) and apnea index in preterm infants. Simakajornboon N, Naqvi SK, McGinley B, Sawnani H, Mack C, Beckerman R, Costell B. SLEEP Abstract Supplement 2003 26 A136
- Sleep architecture in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis and the association with severity of lung disease. Naqvi SK, Sotelo C, Murry L, Simakajornboon N Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung 2008 Mar 12 1 77-83
- American Thoracic Society, Member
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (1996-2001)
- Southern Sleep Society, Member (2005)
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Fellow (2005)
Awards and Honors
- Founder's Award for best abstract presentation 2005, Southern Sleep Society annual meeting, New Orleans, LA