Rachel St. John, M.D., NCC, NIC-A, is the director of Family-Focused Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children at Children’s Health℠, and an Associate Professor of Otolaryngology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. St. John is a board-certified pediatrician, has a masters in counseling from Gallaudet University, and holds a NIC-Advanced sign language interpreter certification through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
Her interests include language access, advocacy and supporting effective medical homes for children who are deaf and hard of hearing. She presents regularly at state, national, and international conferences, and completed a term as an American Academy of Pediatrics delegate to the Joint Committee on Infant Hearing.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (1999)
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2000), Pediatrics
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2003), Pediatrics
- Graduate School
- Gallaudet University (2004)
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics
Departments and Programs
- Developmental outcomes for children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Newborn hearing screening
- Resident education and practice retention
- Year 2019 Position Statement: Principles and Guidelines for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Programs. Joint Committee on Infant Hearing. Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention, 2019, 4(2), 1-44. DOI: 10.15142/fptk-b748.
- The role of routine hearing screening in children with cystic fibrosis on aminoglycosides: A systematic review. Farzal Z, Kou YF, St John R, Shah GB, Mitchell RB. Laryngoscope. 2016 Jan;126(1):228-35.
- The otolaryngologist's role in newborn hearing screening and early intervention. Bower CM, St John R. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2014 Oct;47(5):631-49.
- Regarding review of psychopathology in children and adolescents who are deaf or hard of hearing. St John R. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Aug;168(8):778-9.
- Developmental, audiological, and speech perception functioning in children after cochlear implant surgery: a reply. St John R, Nelson DB. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004 Apr;158(4):401; author reply 401-2.
- Dallas Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2010)
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (2009)
- National Board of Certified Counselors (2004)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002)
Awards and Honors
- Children's Health Physician of the Month (2018)
- Texas Guide By Your Side Program Physician Champion (2014)
- EHDI Award of Excellence (AAP, CDC, MCHB/HRSA) - For continued efforts to improve the lives of children and families through early hearing detection and intervention as the Texas AAP Chapter Champion (2011)
- External Collaboration Award, Gallaudet University - In recognition of major contributions to the Gallaudet University Community, and in particular, to the students of the Department of Counseling, throughout the years (2008)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year - Georgetown University Hospital Pediatric Residency Program outstanding resident of the year award (2004)
- Resident Teaching Award - Hugh Hussey Resident Teaching Award in Pediatrics (2001)
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Scholar - Primary care medical education scholarship (1995-1999)