$$ Rachel Dana St. John, MD Director, Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children at Children's Health Clinical Associate Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Rachel St. John, M.D., NCC, NIC-A, is the director of the Family-Focused Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children at Children’s Health℠, and a clinical associate professor of otolaryngology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. St. John completed her medical degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and then attended Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C., for her residency in pediatrics. She joined the UT Southwestern Department of Otolaryngology in 2012.
Dr. St. John is a board-certified pediatrician, and a NIC-Advanced certified sign language interpreter through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. Her interests include language access, advocacy and supporting effective medical homes for children who are deaf and hard of hearing. She presents regularly at state, national, and international conferences, and is one of the American Academy of Pediatrics delegates to the Joint Committee on Infant Hearing.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Virginia School of Medicine (1999)
InternshipGeorgetown University Medical Center (2000), Pediatrics
ResidencyGeorgetown University Medical Center (2003), Pediatrics
Graduate SchoolGallaudet University (2004)
Research & Publications
- Developmental outcomes for children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Newborn hearing screening
- Resident education and practice retention
- The role of routine hearing screening in children with cystic fibrosis on aminoglycosides: A systematic review. Farzal Z, Kou YF, St John R, Shah GB, Mitchell RB. Laryngoscope. 2016 Jan;126(1):228-35.
- The otolaryngologist's role in newborn hearing screening and early intervention. Bower CM, St John R. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2014 Oct;47(5):631-49.
- Regarding review of psychopathology in children and adolescents who are deaf or hard of hearing. St John R. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Aug;168(8):778-9.
- Developmental, audiological, and speech perception functioning in children after cochlear implant surgery: a reply. St John R, Nelson DB. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004 Apr;158(4):401; author reply 401-2.
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Dallas Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2010)
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (2009)
- National Board of Certified Counselors (2004)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002)
Awards & Honors
- EHDI Award of Excellence (AAP, CDC, MCHB/HRSA) - For continued efforts to improve the lives of children and families through early hearing detection and intervention as the Texas AAP Chapter Champion (2011)
- External Collaboration Award, Gallaudet University - In recognition of major contributions to the Gallaudet University Community, and in particular, to the students of the Department of Counseling, throughout the years (2008)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year - Georgetown University Hospital Pediatric Residency Program outstanding resident of the year award (2004)
- Resident Teaching Award - Hugh Hussey Resident Teaching Award in Pediatrics (2001)
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Scholar - Primary care medical education scholarship (1995-1999)