Mohammad Tarique Hussain, M.D., is a pediatric cardiologist who practices at Children's Health℠.
Dr. Hussain is fascinated with imaging of the heart and serves as Director for Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
"By finding new ways to actually see what’s happening inside the heart, we can gather information and improve outcomes for our young patients with heart disease," says Dr. Hussain.
His research interests include imaging the heart to get a detailed assessment of heart function; the non-invasive detection of coronary disease in heart transplantation; and the use of radiation-free cardiac catheterization using MRI guidance.
Dr. Hussain is a leader in the use of 3-D printing to create models that are exact replicas of a child's heart. With these 3-D heart models, doctors can visualize and plan complex surgeries.
"To see and feel that representation on a one-to-one scale- the patient's unique heart anatomy- means that we can plan the best, most appropriate procedure," says Dr. Hussain.
At UT Southwestern Medical Center, he serves as an associate professor in pediatrics, radiology and biomedical engineering.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Cambridge (1999)
- Addenbrookes Hospital (2001), General Surgery
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2003), Pediatrics
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children (2008), Pediatric Cardiology
Glenfield Hospital (2006), Pediatric Cardiology
Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trst (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- General Medical Council
Departments and Programs
- Congenital heart disease
- Heart transplantation
- Abnormal myocardial perfusion in kawasaki disease convalescence. Bratis K, Chiribiri A, Hussain T, Krasemann T, Henningsson M, Phinikaridou A, Mavrogeni S, Botnar R, Nagel E, Razavi R, Greil G JACC. Cardiovascular imaging 2015 Jan 8 1 106-8
- Cardiac magnetic resonance feature tracking in Kawasaki disease convalescence. Bratis K, Hachmann P, Child N, Krasemann T, Hussain T, Mavrogeni S, Botnar R, Razavi R, Greil G Annals of pediatric cardiology 2017 Jan-Apr 10 1 18-25
- Member, British Congenital Cardiac Association (2006)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (MRCPS, Glasgow) (2007)
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2008)
- Member, SCMR Working Group, Pediatric Cardiology (2013)
Awards and Honors
- Quality and Safety Improvement Award, Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Trust
- Queen's College Scholar 1997, Queen's College, University of Cambridge
- Madeleine Steel Foundation Fellowship Award 2011
- Magna cum Laude Award 2012, International Society for Magenetic Resonanace in Medicine, International Meeting