$$ Catherine Minor Ikemba, MD Associate Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
UTSW Physician Practicing at Children's Health
Learn more about Dr. Ikemba
Catherine M. Ikemba, M.D., is a pediatric cardiologist at Children’s Health℠ who specializes in echocardiography and fetal echocardiography. She is also Director of the Fetal Heart Program at Children’s Health and an associate professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Ikemba earned her medical degree at the University of Southern California and completed her pediatric residency at Montefiore Medical Center in New York. She served a three-year fellowship in cardiology and a one-year fellowship in perinatal cardiology at Texas Children’s Hospital, where she also received advanced training in echocardiography.
Dr. Ikemba’s clinical interests include echocardiography, fetal echocardiography and congenital heart disease. As Director of the Fetal Heart Program, she has helped Children’s Health become the first program to achieve Joint Commission accreditation in fetal heart care. She also participates in multicenter research projects with the Fetal Heart Society and National Pediatric Cardiology Quality Improvement Collaborative.
“I like the continuity from seeing children in the womb, meeting them after birth, watching them grow up in clinic,” says Dr. Ikemba. “We provide comprehensive care from planning before birth and into adulthood.”
She has been named a Mom-Approved Doctor by North Texas Child magazine. She also received the Faculty Teaching Award from UT Southwestern 2011 - 12.
In her free time, Dr. Ikemba enjoys swimming, hot yoga and attending her daughters’ soccer games.
Education and Training
Medical SchoolUniversity of Southern California (1996)
ResidencyMontefiore Medical Center - Weiler Division (1999), Pediatrics
FellowshipTexas Childrens Hospital (2003), Cardiac Advanced Imaging
Texas Childrens Hospital (2002), Pediatric Cardiology
Conditions & Treatments
Congenital Heart Defects
Single Ventricle Defect
Research & Publications
- Transthoracic vs transesophageal imaging of the atrial septum in the pediatric population
- Acute Adaptation to Volume Unloading of the Functional Single Ventricle in Children Undergoing Bidirectional Glenn Anastomosis., Ikemba CM, Lemler M, Roi L, Su JT, Bezold LI, Chang A, McKenzie ED, Fraser CD Jr. Congenital Heart Disease 2009 4 76-80
- Noninvasive Perinatal Cardiology, Part 1, Prenatal Interventions, Ikemba CM Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas September 2008 Third Quarter
- Fetal rhabdomyoma causing postnatal critical left ventricular outflow tract obstruction, Ikemba CM, Eidem BW, Dimas VV, O’Day MP, Fraser CD Jr. Annals of Thoracic Surgery October 2005 80(4) 1529
- Mitral valve morphology and morbidity/mortality in Shone’s Complex, Ikemba CM, Eidem BW, Fraley JK, Eapen RS, Pignatelli R, Ayres NA, Bezold Ll The American Journal of Cardiology 2005 95 541-543
- Myocardial performance index with sevoflurane/pancuronium versus fentanyl/midazolam/pancuronium in infants with a functional single ventricle, Ikemba CM, Su JT, Stayer SA, Miller-Hance WC, Eidem BW, Bezold LI, Hall SR, Havemann LM, Andropoulos DB Anesthesiology 2004 101 1298-1305
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Echocardiography