Community Bereavement Support
(Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of this list, but please note that this information frequently changes.)
Cancer Support Community: A free cancer support community, offering bereavement support groups for anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one to cancer. Offers support groups for adults and children (Grief Busters).
Compassionate Friends: A non-profit organization that offers free individual and year-round group support for adults who have experienced the death of a child. Some chapters offer sibling groups for children ages 12 and up. There are currently three chapters in the Dallas area.
Phone Number: 877-969-0010
Online Support Groups:
Private Compassionate Friends Facebook groups for specific types of loss:
Charlton Methodist Hospital: Pregnancy and infant loss support group; 3500 Wheatland Rd., Dallas.
Contact: Jean Russell
Phone Number: 214-947-7127
Community Healthcare of Texas (CHOT): Grief Care Services, individual counseling, support groups, events, remembrance services, walk the mall (Fort Worth/Waco). Online monthly support group (ages7-18) held 2nd Monday of every month.
Coping with Loss: 5-week support group, Meets several times a year on Mondays, 7:00-9:00p.m. Call for next meeting time. Trietsch Memorial United Methodist Church, 6101 Morris Rd., Flower Mound, TX 75028
Forever Moms: Child loss support group hosted by Highland Park United Methodist Church, Dallas. Ongoing support group for those who have experienced the death of a child of any age. Meets second Wednesdays at 12:00 p.m. Contact: Reverend Camille May
Grief & Loss Center of North Texas/Sam’s Place: A non-profit self-help organization for families who are grieving the death of a child of any age. Local chapters hold twice monthly support groups. Child groups serve age 4 years and older.
Phone Number: 214-452-3105
Grief Share: Christian based groups that meet once to twice a week to assist other in the process of grief. Their website has a database of open groups based on zip code.
GriefWorks, Dallas/Fort Worth: Support Group for adults and children (age 5-18) to mourn in a safe, supportive environment. Groups meet twice monthly. Discounted individual counseling is available for people involved in GriefWorks support groups.
Phone: 972-960-9981 (Dallas) 817-502-7789
Grieving Parents Support Network: Offers group support for bereaved parents via Facebook.
Haven Coping: Offers pregnancy and infant loss support group.
Healgrief.org: A social support network for bereaved individuals. Offers one-on-one support, AMF App, resources, and virtual support.
Healing Matters: Support for loss of an infant, newborn loss, SIDS; group support for the loss of a loved one.
Healing Matters I (loss of an infant)-meets the 4th Monday of every month at 7:30 p.m.
Healing Matters II (loss of a loved one)-meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at Medical City Plano: 3901 W. 15th Street
Contact: Ginny Robinson, 972-519-1588
Journey of Hope Grief Support Center: Plano, Frisco & Dallas: Support Group for adults and children (age 3-18) who have experienced a death loss. Groups meet twice monthly. Recently started offering a Spanish-speaking group, young adult group, anticipatory grief group, and virtual groups.
The Lighthouse for New Hope, Mesquite: Christian grief support for children ages 5 and up, adolescents, and adults experiencing a loss, including death, divorce, or abandonment. Groups meet weekly. Must fill out an enrollment form on their website to attend. Offers children’s groups, adult groups, Spanish-speaking groups, and individual counseling.
A Memory Grows: Offers bereavement retreats, virtual community, and special events.
M.E.N.D.: Support for those who have experienced the loss of a baby due to miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death. Also, provides support for infertility and subsequent pregnancies after a loss. Groups meet in Irving and Plano. Additional information available on their website.
MEND: Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death Miscarriage, stillbirth, infant loss. Also provides support for infertility, subsequent pregnancies after loss, and fathers. Private Facebook group and Spanish speaking Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MENDenEspanol/
- 2nd Thursday - Main Dallas/Fort Worth Support Group (Irving) 7:30 PM Meeting Location: Irving Archives Museum 801 W Irving Blvd Irving, TX 75060 Questions? Contact Rebekah Mitchell at email@example.com.
- 1st Wednesday - Satellite Support Group (Rowlett) 7:00 PM Meeting Location: Veterans Resource & Outreach Center 4201 Industrial Blvd. Irving TX 75060 Questions? Contact Terri Nymeyer at Terri@mend.org
- 2nd Thursday - Quarterly Daddy's Group **MEETS QUARTERLY: MARCH, JUNE, SEPTEMBER, AND DECEMBER** 7:30 PM Meeting Location: Irving Archives Museum 801 W. Irving Blvd, Irving TX 75060. This group is led by Byron Mitchell; for more information, contact Rebekah Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ONLINE SUPPORT 3rd Thursday - Nationwide Online Support Group 8:00 PM CST Meeting Location: This group meets from the comfort of your home through the online platform ZOOM. The Zoom ID is: 979 5869 8575 or click the link at MEND.org to gain access to the portal. Those interested in attending the Online Group should complete the Info Sheet prior to joining. Contact Mallory Gallagher for questions at email@example.com.
- 3rd Monday- Men of M.E.N.D. 8:00 PM CST Meeting Location: Online through Zoom We recognize men and women grieve differently. This group meets through the online platform ZOOM. The Zoom ID is: 912 2894 1981. click the link at MEND.org to gain access to the portal Contact Matt McGhee for questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope Dawning: Introduces and connects bereaved mothers to faith-based resources through outreach and camaraderie-building events.
Suicide & Crisis Center of North Texas: Survivors of Suicide (SOS) is a nationwide non-profit program that has been a resource to the people of Dallas since 1983. It is a program in the recovery of those who have experienced the loss of a loved one to suicide. Services are free.
24-hour suicide hotline: 214-828-1000 or 1-800-273-8255
The Warm Place: A grief support center for children, ages 3 to 18, and their families, who have experienced the death of someone they love. Supported through community donations and grants, there is no fee for families to participate. Offers grief camp. Call for intake appointment.
Camp El Tesoro De La Vida: Week-long resident camp for children (age 7-17) who have experienced the death of a loved one. Scholarships are available.
Phone: 817-831-2111, ext. 158
Camp Erin: Weekend camp for grieving children (age 6-17). Cost is free.
Camp Sunrise: Free weekend bereavement camp for grieving children ages 6-17.
Phone: 972-960-9981 or 817-502-7789
Comfort Zone Camp
- Bereavement Care
- Phone: 214-456-2822