These lettuce wraps are flavorful, easy to make and a lighter alternative as the weather begins to warm up this season.
- I tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can of whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, about 3 – 5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger and Sriracha until onions have become translucent, about 1 – 2 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and green onions and cook until tender, about 1 – 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.
Want more healthy recipes? Download our 10 Easy and Healthy Weeknight Suppers Your Kids Will Love.
Stay current on the health insights that make a difference to your children. Sign up for the Children's Health newsletter and have more tips sent directly to your inbox.