Sonali Patel, M.D., is board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics in pediatrics and pediatric cardiology. She works with children and families at Children's Health℠. As a pediatric cardiologist, Dr. Patel has a particular clinical interest in caring for those with acute heart conditions. She specializes in helping those needing general pediatric cardiology care and preventive cardiology. She is an Associate Professor in the department of pediatrics at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Patel earned her medical degree from the University of Iowa. She completed her residency in pediatrics at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and earned a fellowship in pediatric cardiology from the University of Iowa.
Dr. Patel is also the Heart Center Education Director and the Medical Director for Acute Care Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiology at UT Southwestern. Dr. Patel serves as a member of several professional societies, including the Society of Pediatric Cardiology Training Program Directors and the Pediatric Acute Care Cardiology Collaborative.
Dr. Patel’s research areas of interest include long-term outcomes in inpatient pediatric cardiology and the epidemiology of pediatric blood pressure and cholesterol disorders and their role in the development of adult cardiovascular disease.
She is committed to community service and serves on several local, regional and national committees, including the American Heart Association Cardiorenal Metabolic Health Initiative Working Group. She is an ad hoc reviewer for national publications, including the Journal of Clinical Medicine, Vascular Medicine and the Lancet Public Health.
Dr. Patel is an invited lecturer and presenter on many heart topics, including the Evaluation, Management, and Long-term Outcomes of Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Congenital Heart Disease and the Biggest Challenge in Acute Care Cardiology – Maximizing Value: Care Plans That Optimize the Balance Between Education, Family Experience and Medical Care.
In her free time, Dr. Patel enjoys cooking, gardening and finding antiques.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Iowa College of Medicine (2003)
- University of Iowa (2006), Pediatrics
- University of Iowa (2010), Pediatric Cardiology Advanced 4th Year
University of Iowa (2009), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
Departments and Programs
- Long-term outcomes in inpatient pediatric cardiology
- Epidemiology of pediatric blood pressure and cholesterol disorders and their role in the development of adult cardiovascular disease
- Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring in Pediatrics. Patel SS, Daniels SR. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2019 Jul 26;21(9):71. doi: 10.1007/s11906-019-0976-1.
- Beginning With the End in Mind: The Case for Primordial and Primary Cardiovascular Prevention in Youth. Patel SS, Daniels SR. Can J Cardiol. 2020 Sep;36(9):1344-1351. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2020.07.002. Epub 2020 Jul 10.
- American Heart Association